Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert John Haylock West Yorkshire Regiment

Bantamenace

I am trying to find any information about my great-grandfather Herbert John Haylock who lived in Bradford, West Yorkshire. I know he served in the First World War in the Prince of Wales' Own West Yorkshire Regiment, although i don't know which battalion. He volunteered in September 1914 and survived the war. I would be extremely grateful if anybody could offer any advice or websites where i could research my Great-Grandfather further.Thank you.

Source-The National Roll of the Great War 1914-1918. Section IX, Bradford.The National Publishing Company. page 89.

HAYLOCK, H. J., Private, West Yorkshire Regt.

He volunteered in September 1914, and in the following February was drafted to the Western Front, where he took part in the Battles of Hill 60, Loos, the Somme, Arras, Messines and Cambrai, and in the Retreat and Advance of 1918. After the Armistice he served in Germany with the Army of Occupation until March 1919, and was then demobilised, holding the 1914-15 star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.

370 Mount Street, Wakefield Road, Leeds.

(The only other H Haylock in the book was a Private in the 9th Essex Regiment.)

If this is your man looks like he got the Full Monty. Regards Tim

HAYLOCK, H. J., Private, West Yorkshire Regt.

He volunteered in September 1914, and in the following February was drafted to the Western Front, where he took part in the Battles of Hill 60, Loos, the Somme, Arras, Messines and Cambrai, and in the Retreat and Advance of 1918. After the Armistice he served in Germany with the Army of Occupation until March 1919

Dave,

Going from the battalion engagements listed on The Long, Long Trail, only the 12th Bn. West Yorkshires were involved at Loos (they also took part at the Somme, Arras, Messines and Cambrai) - so this looks like a good bet. However, the 21st Division didn't go overseas until early Sep 1916, so could not have taken part at Hill 60; perhaps he served with another battalion before joining the 12th.

To be sure of the correct battalion you will need to access the medal rolls at the National Archives (not online), unless you are lucky and the MIC gives the details.

All the best,

Stuart

Do you know how i could find out his Regiment?

Dave,

I live in Bradford so sometime soon I'll check the Bradford Roll of Honour held on microfilm at the Central Library which may give his battalion. Regards Tim.

The Bradford Roll of Honour held on microfilm at the Central Library contains a fairly comprehensive list of those from Bradford who served. There is no H J Haylock on it, though there is an Arthur Haylock in the 18th West Yorkshire Regt who was killed. Tim