Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Wishart, 2nd HLI, Distinguished Conduct Medal 1918

Guest Jean Wishart

Guest Jean Wishart

My Uncle, John Brown Wisart, 331780, was Corp, possibly sergeant in the Second Battalion (Glasgow Highlanders) attached to the HLI. He was awarded the DCM for action which I assume was in France. I know from a family press cutting that the action was was on 23rd October, (no year given) but probably 1918 as his Medal Card shows an entry for DCM on 12 March 1919 and he was 'Gazetted' in the London Gazette on 2 Dec 1919.

Can anybody help with information about John's action, where it might have taken place or how I can get further information.

Thank you

The London Gazette entries for his DCM:

LG 12-3-1919 (Announcement only)

331780 Cpl. J. B. Wishart, 2nd Bn., H.L.I. (Glasgow).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

and Citation:

LG 2-12-1919

331780 Cpl. J. B. Wishart, 2nd Bn., H.L.I. (Glasgow).

During the operations just north of Vertain on 23rd October, 1918, he displayed magnificent courage and dash. On crossing the River Harpies, he saw an enemy post ahead doing much damage. He rushed single-handed through our barrage, killing one and capturing the remainder of the garrison. Later, when his section was held up by an enemy machine-gun post, he left his section to draw the enemy's fire and try and snipe them while he in dead ground crawled up to their flank. He rushed them with bayonet and bomb by himself, capturing eighteen prisoners, one heavy and one light machine gun.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.