Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Johnson Brothers

Guest nick downes

Guest nick downes

I am looking for information about my relatives (great-granduncles) that were lost in the Somme. Their details are:

Private Joseph Emil Johnson #26621, 19th Bn. King's (Liverpool Regiment) Killed Somme July 30th 1916 Aged 20

Private Albert Johnson #30691, 4th Bn. King's (Liverpool Regiment) Killed Somme August 13th 1916 Aged 18

These two brothers were tragically killed within exactly two weeks of each other, judging by the dates and information I can find I think Joseph was probably killed in the attack on Guillemont. I have CWGC memorial details but would appreciate any other information.

Thank you in advance.

Nick Downes

Nick

Welcome to the forum

From "Soldiers Died in the Great War"

Albert was killed in action was born in Saltney in Cheshire enlisted in Liverpool and lived in Saltney

Joseph was also killed in action and was born enlsited and lived in Liverpool

I will dig out some details of the actions after I've done the kids tea!!

Hambo

Nick

The 4th Kings were in the front line in the south corner of High Wood on the 13th of August, no mention of them being invoved in anything specific.

On the 30th of July the 19th Battalion were on the left of their Brigade's attack towards Arrow Head Copse at 4.45am.They took their objectives but with heavy losses but had to give them up due to lack of reinforcements, At noon only 7 officers and 43 men answered the roll call.

From British Battalions on the Somme

Hambo