Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W. Hubert Unsworth

kin47

Hello

I am attempting to find the full name of W. Hubert Unsworth, Temporary Engineer S/LT who was lost in the sinking of HMS INVINCIBLE at Jutland. He is listed as W. Hubert Unsworth in the few NAVY LISTs he does appear, as is his obituary. He was born in Belfast, but I lack his age or date of birth to pursue a birth certificate.

Any help or direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks

don

As you know his date of death obtaining a copy of the death certificate should help. His Gazette entry on being commissioned has the initial as well.

A death certificate can be issued from Dublin, this SITE explains the system

6. Register of Deaths at Sea of Irish-born persons, registered from 1st January, 1864, to 31st December, 1921, and after 1921 of Irish born persons other than those born in Northern Ireland.

Download the application form HERE

Davie.

Hello

My non naval, non history wife pulled a "duh" on me.

W. Hubert Unsworth's father was William Thomas Unsworth. Being a "retread name" myself where my father and I have the same names, but my father is Donald and I am Lee, what is the possibility, Hubert Unsworth went by Hubert and his father by William to avoid confusion growing up? I am still pursuing the birth certificate route in the meantime.

Thank you.

don (since my teen years)