Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards found in grandfathers documents

AmisUK

The attached postcards were found amongst my grandfathers documents, and one even has a message on the back relating to a cross on the front, but it's written in pencil & I haven't been able to read it.

Any information or ideas why he would have these postcards would be appreciated, as i'm having great trouble trying to find out about his RFC service.

Regards

Paul

post-5456-1137318265.jpg

post-5456-1137318285.jpg

post-5456-1137318294.jpg

post-5456-1137318303.jpg

I would put some tracing paper and draw over whatever you can see, it might make snse then.

Regards.

Tom.

The Parseval airship was a German design. It would seem that one was bought from the Germans just before WW1 and a few more were made by Vickers during the war. More info available via Google.

Interesting photos which from other comments suggest that it is just pre-war at RAF (later RAE)Farnborough. The Parseval PL18 was Naval Airship number 4 ordered in 1912 (deleted from the register 1917). Three further airships of the class were ordered but not delivered because of the outbreak of war. The Caudron biplane was used for training from around 1916 but might have been an early delivery to the Army at Farnborough from France, 1912 onwards. There was a Caudron GII serial 311 with the initial Army orders. The Navy had a Caudron GIII serial 40 (probably 1913) and seven with their mid 1914 orders onwards. The next Army order was late 1914 onwards, serial 2863. This suggests the cards may be 1913 given that the airship is clearly new and the Caudron is attracting reasonable interest.

As to the text, the top word might be a day of the week, possible "wednesday", the middle text appears to be "got to Mr(s) Jeckells" part of text at bottom "rest there". The X presumably marks where he might have been standing. As to why your grandfather would have had them, if he was in the RFC that was their main base pre war. If you look in McCudden's book (Flying Fury) he describes reporting to Farnborough for (ground) training in that period.

Have you looked your grandfather up on the National Archives medal index? What other clues do you have about your grandfather's RFC service?

Patrick

Further to my previous post, having checked McCudden's book, he mentions a Caudron at the Flying Depot Farnborough in May 1913. This aircraft was to cause him a spell of encarceration after the engine fired unexpectedly during his practicing propellor swinging. The aircraft moved forward rapidly in the hangar crashing into a Maurice Farman (serial 223) damaging both. He describes the Caudron as being equipped with a Anzani 45 hp engine which had not been run for months.

He also mentions Naval Airship No 8 Astra Torres being tested around this time at Farnborough. That he doesn't mention the Parseval suggests the date of your postcards is end 1912 or early 1913.

Patrick

Thanks for that information, it certainly makes the story of his joining the RFC more believable Patrick.

My grandfathers children all say that he was in the RFC, I have a Field Artillery Training Manual for the RFC (I does say Aeroplane Repair Section), and my grandmother had RFC badges that belonged to my Grandfather. I'm trying to get access to his Medals (They were given to my uncle) to see if there is any WW1 medals.

The story from the family is that he joined on his second attempt (under age), and was eventually flying Sopworth Camels & Pups.

Regards

Paul

Hi!

Indeed the British "Naval Airship Parseval n°4" and "Astra-Torres Naval Airship n°3" were bought from Germany and France 1913! They served in France (Dunkirk) & Belgium (Ostend) by the outbreak of WWI!

Eventual history or details see www.airshipsonline.com.

My submitted photos on this subject are to find on Rod Filan's WWI Website :

www.earlyaviator.com (see section submitted photos :Early Airships)

VBR

Jempie