Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Werties enquiry regarding the kings liverpool regiment

delph105

Can anyone help i am tracing my great grandfather in ww1 and have been advised by family that he said his unit was known as the Werties as everytime they went into the front line they were opposite the wertenberger regiment.

Does anyone know if the 13th service battalion of the kings liverpool regiment was nicknamed the werties? I have traced my grandfather through the index cards and the only alfred collins in the liverpool regment who survived id down as being in the 13th service battalion of the kings liverpool regiment. They however were billetted in Bournemouth. My grandfather however was billeted in Blackpool (where he met and married my great grandmother). I am therefore confused? I am advised the service numbers directly either side of my grandfathers were killed in action and had been transferred from the south lancashire regiment into the 13th service battalion of the kings liverpool. Does anyone know if the south lancashire regiment was billetted in Blackpool in 1915? If a transfer occured would it neccesarily show on the medal card? Why did such transfers occur I know my grandfather was a stretcher bearer in the war. Does this have any bearing on possible transfers?

Any help gratefully received.

Delphi