Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut. J. K. Digby, 7th Norfolks

David_Bluestein

Hello Lads,

Would be grateful for any information about the activities of the 7th Norfolks on August 04, 1915.

My specific are of interest is for any details related to the service and death of Lieut. J. K. Digby of this regiment killed on August 04.

The information I have so far is this:

Died 4th August 1915. Age 24. Son of Algernon and Richenda Digby,of Fakenham, Norfolk. Enlisted as a Private in the 9th Bn (Edmonton Alberta) Canadian Expeditionary Force in Sept 1914, being afterwards promoted L/Cpl. Went to England with the first contingent in Oct and trained with them on Salisbury Plain during the winter of 1914 - 15. On the 20th Feb. 1915, he was given a commission in the 7th Norfolks. He went to the front May 1915 and was killed in action at Ploegsteert. (Buried at Rifle House Cemetery II. B. 1.) See photo below.

My very kindest thanks in advance.

David

Canada

post-106-1137281992.jpeg

The Times 12-8-1915

DIGBY - Killed in action in Belgium on 4th Aug., Sec. Lieut. John Kenelm Digby, 7th Btn. Norfolk Regt, elder son of Mr and Mrs Algernon Digby, Highfield, Fakenham, Norfolk, age 24.

Biography:

Second Lieutenant John Kenelm Digby, 7th Battalion Norfolk Regiment, was the elder son of Mr and Mrs Algernon Digby, Highfield, Fakenham, Norfolk. He was born on November 21, 1890 and was educated at Marlborough and Hertford College, Oxford and had been working for a year and a half preparatory to ordination on the staff of the mission at Edmonton, Alberta under the Archbishops Western Canada scheme. On the outbreak of the war, Lieutenant Digby joined the first overseas Canadian Contingent and was with them on Salisbury Plain throughout the winter. He obtained a commission in the 7th Norfolk Regiment in March and went with the battalion to France at the end of May.

Steve.

Hi David.

As I think you already know ;) , he was killed in the act of attempting to launch a bomb using a trench catapult somewhere in trenches 113 to 120 in front of Ploegsteert Wood.

Dave.

David: From the "Marlborough College Register, 1843-1933:"

Digby, John Kenelm, educated at Marlborough College from Sept 1904 to Easter 1908. Born on 21 Nov 1890, the son of A. Digby (O.M.). BA from Herts. Coll, Oxford. Great War: 2nd Lieut. 7th Norfolk Regiment, 1915.

KIA near Armentieres, Aug. 4, 1915.

From "Oxford University Roll of Service:" 1910 Digby, J K, BA (Aug 1914). 2nd Lieut, 7th Norfolk Regt (Lt).

France. Killed in action near Armentieres on 4 Aug 1915.

From DeRuvigney's "Roll of Honour:" (I have only extracted anything not above):

Elder son of Algernon Digby, nephew Edward St. Vincent, 9th Lord Digby, and Richenda Catharine, eldest daughter of Captain Philip Hamond, 34th Regiment.

Volunteered and enlisted as a Private in the 9th Battn. of the CEF in September 1914 and later promoted to Lance Corporal. Killed in action at Ploegsteart, Flanders on 4-5 August 1915.

Regards. Dick Flory