Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Notts and Derbys 15/16 Sept 1916

lindamee

Looking for any infomation on the above soldier,my grandfather,and his Regiment on this date,all I can get from the Sherwood Foresters is that he died on the night of the 15th but was not reported dead until the 16th.I would like to know ,if possible,where he died and what other battles the Foresters were involved in ,the 2nd Battalion anyway,he was one of 4 brothers who went to war 3 in the Notts and Derbys and one that signed on in Newmarket Ontario for the C.E.F he also died just before my grandfather.Any help however small would be appreciated. Kalin2

Hi Kalin2

The 2/Notts and Derbys were part of 71st Brigade (started war with 18th Brigade), 6th Division. I can't give you details about the 2/Notts and Derbys but can tell you the 71st Brigade attacked Straight Trench on the 15th Sept. 1916. I do have more details somewhere, if no one as given you more info. I will see if I can find my notes but have little time at moment.

Annette

Hi Kalin2

The 2/Notts and Derbys were part of 71st Brigade (started war with 18th Brigade), 6th Division. I can't give you details about the 2/Notts and Derbys but can tell you the 71st Brigade attacked Straight Trench on the 15th Sept. 1916. I do have more details somewhere, if no one as given you more info. I will see if I can find my notes but have little time at moment.

Annette

Hi Annette,many thanks its a start. Alan[kalin2]

Hello Alan

The 2/Foresters were heavily engaged between14th-16th Sept 1916 in attacks on the Quadrilateral near to Ginchy. Between 12th-19th September the Battalion's casualties were 17 Officers and 421 OR.

I tried to upload a copy of the relevant page of the Battalion History and a trench map, but for some reason it wouldn’t let me – I will try again later

Mike

Oops - missed this one. Looks like Mike's got it covered though.

Hello Alan

The 2/Foresters were heavily engaged between14th-16th Sept 1916 in attacks on the Quadrilateral near to Ginchy. Between 12th-19th September the Battalion's casualties were 17 Officers and 421 OR.

I tried to upload a copy of the relevant page of the Battalion History and a trench map, but for some reason it wouldn’t let me – I will try again later

Mike

Hi Mike,many thanks for the info,any chance of uploading the battalion history and maps it would be much appreciated. Alan

Hi Alan

The 2/Notts and Derbys did not attack the Quadrilateral itself but a trench running from it called Straight Trench. The Quadrilateral was attacked by the 16th Brigade. The 2/Notts and Derbys and 9/Suffolk were in support of the 9/Norfolk and 1/Leicesters. The /Norfolk and 1/Leicesters were stopped by uncut wire in front of Straight Trench and the survivors took cover in shell holes. At 8.20 a.m. the 2/Notts and Derbys and 9/Suffolk also advanced on Straight Trench, machine gun fire from the Quadrilateral (which was not captured until the 18th by the 1/K.S.L.I.) cut them to pieces.

Annette

post-4619-1137954982.jpg

Please find the relevant page from the Battalion History.

Annette is quite right it was the trench running from the Quad.

and the map showing Straight trench, you can see the position of the 2/Foresters on the 16th September

post-4619-1137955159.jpg

.....and this is the view of the cutting (2003), you can see the bend in the road (cf map). Straight trench ran from the bend and over the field to the left

hope this helps

Mike

post-4619-1137955367.jpg