Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scott 'The Ypres Salient'

Mark Hone

This is a very valuable compendium of information and is still, as far as I know, the only guide to deal in detail with every cemetery in the Salient. There are useful directions to each site and descriptions of noteworthy burials (including shot at dawns). Unfortunately I have discovered a number of mistakes, such as the wholly fictitious account of the Jeffries VC at Tyne Cot, which I mention in another posting. The location of some of the shot at dawns at Poperinge New Military is rather inaccurately described as I found on a visit this year. No doubt other contributors have come across errors and omissions. It is a pity that the grave references of the soldiers mentioned in the text are not given, especially in those unfortunate circumstances where the cemetery register is missing. The Battleground Europe series now routinely gives these. Nevertheless this was a pioneering work and one which has given me immeasurable assistance on school and private tours. It is still the first thing to go into my infamous green rucksack when cycling the Salient! Does anyone know if the version currently available is a revised edition or simply a reprint of the original? I suspect the latter.

Mark,

Yes , a very useful book. Something similar for the Somme would be useful.

It would be nice if scanned copies of all the cemetery registers could be included on an accompanying CD Rom.

It won't be long before we will be able to travel with a cheap, light computer which could contain this info, SDGW, Trench maps etc .

Mark.

I believe that it is simply a reprint of the original (as is the case for most N&MP publications). There's no mention of it being a newer edition anywhere in it, anyway.

Dave.

The N&MP edition is a straight reprint, with no changes or amendments. It remains a useful and worthwhile publication, which few regular visitors to Ypres can do without. Agree it would also be nice to have a Somme edition, although to some extent Middlebrook's Somme Battlefields does this.

• 1 year later...

Has a new edition of this book come out, possibly with corrections? Might an electronic version have been made available? Andy

May I direct the Pals into to the website: www.silentcities.co.uk It is not complete yet but can be very useful in some areas. If available it gives a lot of information on the Cem.

Jacky