Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One Programme for the Grand Military Bazaar

themonsstar

Any indication where the various events were held? I assume the reference to the "Halle's Choir" and the "Great Hall" must mean that was the Free Trade Hall - now, in the spirit of progress, a hotel.

St James' Hall was on Oxford Street near the Palace Theatre. I think it's where St James' Buildings now are, but I may be wrong on that detail.

Gwyn

Roy,

Is there any mention of anyone called Black or Hahn on your programme? They were musicians living in Manchester.

Thanks

Kate

Picture of St James Hall (with the tower)

The building behind the tram is, I presume, the Palace Theatre. and therefore, the Hall is where St James Buildings now are. Picture from Manchester Libraries photo archive and dated 1907.

post-72-1137281241.jpg

the building with the tower doesn't half look like the refuge building :huh:

Methinks it could be St Peter's Church, which I believe bordered St Peter's Square, before it was demolished.

Gwyn

Methinks it could be St Peter's Church, which I believe bordered St Peter's Square, before it was demolished.

Gwyn

what do you base that on Gwyn?

this is the refuge building from the other side ( closer to city centre) note the clock tower and corner thingys

if that is the refuge building ( and i think it is) then St James hall is behind the tram, making it closer to All saints ( and stretford road and burlington st )

what do you base that on Gwyn?

On this:

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/Displa...4&QueryPage=%2F

Gwyn

Chris

If the building behind the tram is St James Hall (on the site of the present St James Buildings), then what's the road just visible running off to the right of the picture. Surely it's gotta be Whitworth Street and the Palace with the Refuge being behind and to the right of the camera position.

John

hmmmm i think the clock is too high in the tower to be considered, compare it to the oxford road pic

xm04215.jpg

Chris

If the building behind the tram is St James Hall (on the site of the present St James Buildings), then what's the road just visible running off to the right of the picture. Surely it's gotta be Whitworth Street and the Palace with the Refuge being behind and to the right of the camera position.

John

i think that the junction with the road going right would be...(pauses to get A-Z) grosvenor st

it's all changed now but i remember stretford road used to run all the way up to that juction with oxford road

Link to another piccie in the Library collection - definately captioned St James Hall

Clickety click

can't argue with that!

the building to the right of the hall seems to be called st james ---- as well, look above cycle acc(essories i imagine) could that be st james buildings?