Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haskett S Jones Manchester Regiment

BrookStreet*999

Hi (again)

I'm Karen and I stumbled across this forum today, as part of my genealogy research. I recently discovered my great grandfather (Haskett S Jones) was in the Manchester Regiment and a POW. I was trying to find out some more info as to where he would have been held and for how long. He was from Liverpool and was a Private but I don't know what battalion, or a service number. All I know is he returned home early in 1919 just in time to bury his wife who had died in the Spanish flu pandemic.

I have looked at "Behind the Wire" but Jones is a very common name. I would like some kind of steer as to where I could start my search to find out some more info.

Many thanks.

Karen.

Hi, Karen and welcome to the Forum

I've had a quick look at the National Archives on-line medal entitlement records (called a Medal Index Card) and I can't find a Haskett Jones. Click here to have a nosy yourself. I also put in Jones and Manchester Regiment in the search criteria and the best part of 600 names. You may be able to whittle it down. If he was POW he must be in there somewhere as everyone who served abroad had an entitlement to service medals.

Do you have any more information. For example, how do you know he served with the Manchesters and how do you know he was captured? Does the family have any papers or, better still, his medals. It's always possible that he served under his middle name - men were often named after their father but were known by the middle name to distinguish the two.

There are several Forum members with particular interests in the Manchesters, so we may stand a reasonable chance of being able to help - but I think we need some more info to go on.

The other step you might want to think about is to see if his service papers still exist at the National Archives - about 30% survived a fire in the 1940s. You have to visit Kew to do this and, of course, there will be a lot of H and S Jones' to search through - but certainly a practical job.

John

Gareth/John

Cheers for this info. I had a look on the National Archive link and located a HASKELL JONES (wonder if this could be him). His full name was Haskett Smith Jones and was nicknamed Oscar. I am sure there were medals in my gran's house, but when she died I'm not sure where they went. A relative who remembers him said that he used to talk of being a POW (so only have her word for that).

On my great grandmother's death cert in 1919, Haskett Jones registered her death and underneath his name is says "Private, Manchester Regiment". I do have it on good authority that he returned from the war just as she died. That's how I know it was the Manchesters. I am sure that Haskell could be mistaken for Haskett, as they are unusual names. He was in his 30s by this time, so assume he would have been conscripted.

Karen.

The Index to the MiCs is notorious for its mis~spellings achieved during transcription for Online searches,so I would suggest that quite probably the Haskell on the search will on accquistion of the actual copy of the Card turn out to be your Haskett,it might well be worth the £3.50 to find out!

i checked 25 numbers from the batch that hesketts came from and non of them died in the war,some went on to the labour corps and the only one who served with another regt,went to a garrison batt of the royal fusiliers via the labour corps,two others went to the RDC,is it possible that heskett was in a mancs garrison battalion,bernard

Just for info....

Born late 1879, married early 1902, youngest son of Robert and Margaret Jones, lived in Bootle.