Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM Card

Raster Scanning

Let me try again, this post and the other I am about to close, have posted without the message so I will post it again as a reply!

After years of researching my Gt Uncles war service, for some reason I only checked his MM index card today!

Anyway I was surprised to see his MM card was stamped France as I always assumed the award was for his time in Gallipoli (in his Gallipoli diary on Wed 8th December 1915, he writes "Saw Officer Commanding who said he had recommended me for an award").

After he left Gallipoli he spent some time in Egypt, he was in Ishmalia in March 1916, not sure when he went to France but it seems a long time from being recommended to being gazetted (normally about 4 months?).

I suspect nothing came of his first recommendation and this was as a result of a further recommendation while in France.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers.

post-76-1137236186.jpg

I know it's probably no help, but.

1. Possibly a clerical mistake stamping the card as France?

Or...

2. How about a second award? MM and Bar, is there another card showing the Gallipoli award?

Just "Throwing" some ideas in the fire. :)

I`m sure someone will tell us what is a typical Gazette date for a late Gallipoli MM. I`d be surprised if it was as late as yours though. But you never know! Sounds more like a Somme award to me. :) Phil B

It is certainly not unknown for MMs & other Gallantry awards to be designated France/Flanders when in all reality for other Theatres[eg:Italy/Mespot/Gallipoli] Best to try & find the London Gazette Entry,though they too can be subject to the same errors

The London Gazette Entry for his MM is a very long list of MMs[many many pages]there is no Country designation in the Preamble]

as he was attached to 2nd Anzac Sig Coy,that avenue would be best pursued to locate his Theatre at the time of award.

No clues in the London Gazette entry, only the basic Service Number, Rank, Name & Unit.

Link to the relevant page is Here

Steve

His MM MIC states that he was RE attd. 2nd Anzac Corps. Signal Co.

I'm sure one of our pals down under can give you more info but I'm sure I read somewhere that II Anzac Corps moved from Egypt to France in May 1916. That would make his 'Gazette' about right for the actions mid-1916.

Steve

Thanks so far to everyone for all your thoughts.

I agree that the 2nd Anzac Corps Signal Coy is the way to go but have never found their War Diary.

I have never found what RE unit he was with either, he mentions a casualty, Joe Wheaver as being killed in his Gallipoli Diary. Wheaver was with WE Cable Section. I have never found this units diary.

Thanks again

John

Cannot believe my luck!

Just found this list of recommendations from Headquarters Signal Coy RE ANZAC.

Click on last link here

Not dated exactly but must be the recommendation he mentions in the diary.

Not only that but Johnson, Freshwater and Nelson who were also recommended are also on the same list of gazettes dated 27-10-16, so it proves the MM for Sjt Wainwright was awarded for " Consistant good work and unfailing devotion to duty during the whole period "

This period being from April 25th 1915 - December 1915 while he was on the peninsula. Seems I am one of the lucky ones to get a citation for an MM. :)

Cheers.

Superb!

Result!

Shows what can be found if you look in the right places.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas, they are much appreciated.

My Gt Uncles diary is available in the Ordinary Heroes section of the mother site.

I have now found the Officers recommendation list as well.

Many names mentioned in the diary are also on these lists and some were wrongly transcribed by me due to poor writing on the original. I will now amend the diary and ask Chris to upload the new version.

Cheers

That's the nature of this sort of research. No buses for ages then several come along at once...

Steve.