Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

fabric on propellers??

scottyv

I have an identified propeller tip that is from an accident in 1918 at 22 T.D.S. in Gormanston, Ireland.

The propeller tip has a fabric covering on it. It is olive drab/ dark green in color.

I collect trench art propeller pieces that have been used as frames, clocks, desk sets, etc.. and all are bare wood. I don't recall seeing another with any fabric on it.

Was it common to cover the props with cloth? Was this camoflague or to strengthen the propeller?

Any information is appreciated.

Scott

Scott

As Egbert says, this was standard practice. However, between 1918 and now most surviving propellors have fallen into the hands of people like interior designers who wanted to make them look good and have removed the fabric and polished up the wood. Aesthetically this is pleasing, but it means very few props have their original fabric covering (and sometimes webbing tips) left. I have a friend who owns a particularly nice fourblader; he's been offered a large sum for it by an interior designer but (quite rightly) won't sell because he knows the first thing that will happen is the fabric will be stripped off. Regrettably, many people aren't aware of this, think the fabric is some sort of modification and bingo, another original prop bites the dust.

Ted

Have two propeller blade tips polished and varnished with RFC badges made in to photo frames. My Grandfather got hold of them when he was in the RFC. Looks like the fitters were doing a trade in ornaments and keepsakes as neither has any fabric on it. Do have some green paint on the back of them though and one has number stamped on it.

I have a propeller from a Miles Magister or Tiger Moth. The covering, I have been told, is pig skin. It is smooth, hard and shiny, and fairly transparent where the paint has come off. not sure of the vintage though.

Dave