Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Africa Transport Dept'

Guest Corbie

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me, I have the Medal Card for my uncle and I've not had one like this before. I was told through a member of rootschat to try this site.

He said that "ROOP" would most likely be the one to help but I thought I would put it on the site just incase there is any one out there searching the same family as I am.

The Card Reads....

HYATT

GEORGE O

Corps..... East Africa Transport Dept'

Rank..... Major (Hon)

Regt No... none?

Theatre of War.....(4a) ?

Date of Entry...15/11/15

I cannot trace him at all, so if you can be of help I'd be eternally greatful.

Thankyou

Corbie

Corbie,

No specific mention of your man in the histories. His date of entry just precedes the arrival of 570th Motor Transport Company ASC to which he may have been attached. However, at this time there was a rather complex array of transport mechanisms which needed organising and again your man may have been involved.

The East African Mechanical Transport Corp had become a carrier corp using native labour, similarly it operated as a labour corp on construction work.

It is unfortunately not possible to identify the exact unit from the information given. Does it actually say Dept or Depot??

Roop

Corbie,

No specific mention of your man in the histories. His date of entry just precedes the arrival of 570th Motor Transport Company ASC to which he may have been attached. However, at this time there was a rather complex array of transport mechanisms which needed organising and again your man may have been involved.

The East African Mechanical Transport Corp had become a carrier corp using native labour, similarly it operated as a labour corp on construction work.

It is unfortunately not possible to identify the exact unit from the information given.

Roop

Thankyou Roop,

It was great of you to reply so soon.

That's the problem I've been having cannot find what (4a) means! I know he retired in 1927 but cannot find him anywhere.

There is a series of No's on his Medal Card I don't know if you have any idea what they mean, they are..... 1VB/1984.0419.9.28 Would they be anything to help me find anymore about him do you think?

Once again Thankyou so much

Regards Corbie

Corbie,

4a number code East Africa, if he retired in 1927 theres a fair bet his service record is still with the Army.Try this address first, you will need to prove relationship to your man.

Army Personnel Centre,

Disclosure 2,

Mail Point 515,

Kentigern House,

65 Brown Street,

Glasgow,

G2 8EX

Tel: 0845 6000 9663

Good Luck

Roop

Roop

It may make a difference but the MIC online actually says.....

East African Railway Transport Department.

Steve

Corbie,

4a number code East Africa, if he retired in 1927 theres a fair bet his service record is still with the Army.Try this address first, you will need to prove relationship to your man.

Army Personnel Centre,

Disclosure 2,

Mail Point 515,

Kentigern House,

65 Brown Street,

Glasgow,

G2 8EX

Tel: 0845 6000 9663

Good Luck

Roop

Thank's for this Roop,

The problem I have is finding out if he had any family, He was my grandfather's brother. If he had family then I am not his next of kin, so cannot get the info'.

Corbie