Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wind up or Wind up?

jdajd

This is going to sound like a very stupid question, but what is the pronunciation of "Wind Up"? I have been reading WWI books for over four years and this phrase has been used so often I guess I have just taken it for granted. I know what it means, but is it pronounced like wind (as in the wind is blowing) or wind (as in wind your watch or it will not work)?

With a diminishing grasp of the English language

Jon

As far as WW1 era then "Wind Up" as in Breeze,being frightened as in "Getting the Wind Up" or the Sergeant "Put The Wind Up The Private"

A wind up as in watch is a later 20th Century euphamism for being frustrated by anothers antics~More Delboy than WW1

I have heard it said both ways.

I would guess that it would have been pronounced like a gust of wind.

That makes some sense.

If it were pronounced like winding a watch what would it mean. Any idea of the origin in that case?

Jon,

Please don't find that my unkind and somewhat unrefined reponse to "wind", combined with a blind, bewildered state of mind believes that this wind is a wind -not as in weather- but wind as in clock.

ken

If it were pronounced like winding a watch what would it mean. Any idea of the origin in that case?

It would mean A Wind Up like the Coiling of a Watch Spring"Are You Winding Me Up"~Causing Frustration/Annoyance/Tension~The resultant explosion of temper from the spring Having been released!

viz:"A Wind Down"!

Just to confuse matters there is a further "Wind Up" as in the Winding up of a Company or Anyother Business

Meaning to Shut down/Dissolve/Close

Aint English a Wunnerful Language? :lol:

I think it's time this discussion started to wind down.....

I’ve lost sight of the original question in the subsequent postings, but Beppo asked about background.

'Wind' was originally pronounced ‘waind’. This applied to the sort of wind which is moving, blowing air. (Ventus) It is its pronunciation in Old English. You might still occasionally see this pronunciation in poetry.

Ekwall suggests that the pronunciation of ‘wind’ as [wInd] (short vowel) is probably to do with the influence of related words, like ‘windy’.

In the thirteenth century, 'wind', pronounced ‘waind’ began to be used as a word for moving in a circular direction. In the 14c ‘wind’ [waind] was used for entwining things round each other. The past participle is 'wound' (pr 'waund'). In very simplified terms, this is etymologically connected with ‘wend’ and ‘wander’ – you can see the theme of movement here.

‘Wind-up’ (= a state of anxiety) is recorded in English in 1917. This is pronounced [wInd-].

‘Wind-up’ (= hoax) is recorded in English in 1984. This is pronounced [waind-].

Gwyn

I can't render phonetics on this forum, but in my post:

- 'waind' rhymes with modern English 'kind' - diphthong

- 'wInd' rhymes with modern English 'tin' - short vowel

- 'waund' rhymes with the 'ow' sound in 'howl'

Edited by Dragon

I agree with the meaning already posted. Of recent origin I would say, possibly no more than 10-15 years old.

I agree with the meaning already posted. Of recent origin I would say, possibly no more than 10-15 years old.

I have known the expression 'a wind up' for around 30 years. I think I first heard it from a friend who came from Rotherhithe, in SE London, so origin is likely to be Cockney SE London 1970s or earlier.

Gunner Bailey

I have known the expression 'a wind up' for around 30 years. I think I first heard it from a friend who came from Rotherhithe, in SE London, so origin is likely to be Cockney SE London 1970s or earlier.

Gunner Bailey

Maybe. They are a funny lot south of the river. My husband comes from the proper East End, north of the river, and it is not part of the "rich" vocabulary he learned in his youth.

dear pals to wind some one up is to slowly annoy them .to get the wind up is to be frightened so getting some movment in the rear.they are both cockney saying .tom

Music Hall star Florrie Forde used to sing a song called "Hold My Hand I've Got the Wind Up", though this may have been a song about needing comfort while suffering digestive problems.

This website from the CEF Study Group's recommended list will provide answers to most of the slang from the Great War:

A Dictionary of Great War Slang by Paul Hinckley Sept 2005

The argot of the British soldier seems to be largely derived from a legacy of Indian and Arabic dialect words picked up and passed on from the previous campaigns in India and Egypt, coupled with the Tommies' rather awkward pronunciation of some of the commoner French words and phrases. This mixture made for a colourful and interesting blend. Learn the meanings of "iddy umpty", "a maiden's prayer", the "spotted dog" and to "wet one's stripes" from this website. [Recommendation by Brett Payne]

http://sir.cyivs.cy.edu.tw/~hchung/warslang.htm

WINDY

"Afraid, nervous. Such a person was said to have the wind-up. More acceptable than cold feet. From the production of intestinal wind or gas due to nerves."