Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Medal Card

Keith Kendall

Hi

A bit of a tall order but here goes

It never ceases to amaze me how much some of the "pals" out there can tell from a soldier's service number - enlistment date, unit etc.

Does/can that apply to RAMC?

Unlike any of the others in the family I am researching I cannot find a unit below RAMC which obviously makes it difficult to find out where and when he served.

The obvious thing on the attached is that he landed in Egypt on 5.7.15.

Can anyone give me an idea of his unit from that?

post-7097-1137183475.jpg

There is a second card with his Victory and War medal entitlement on but nothing els that is not on the above card.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Keith

I'd hazard a guess he had enlisted in 1914,or very early 1915,the number isn't a 4 Figure TF Number,or I doubt;a Regular Number,More than likely a Kitchener Man,trained up & embarking for the Egypt {not as previously stated Balkans don't know where that came from?} in July 1915

I'd hazard a guess he had enlisted in 1914,or very early 1915,the number isn't a 4 Figure TF Number,or I doubt;a Regular Number,More than likely a Kitchener Man,trained up & embarking for the Balkans in July 1915

Thanks for the information.

By Kitchener man do you mean one of the 1000's who volunteered in response to the "your country needs you" campaign?

It is interesting that you have mentioned the Balkans - by which I assume you mean Gallipoli - the MIC shows Egypt.

Was it likely then that he landed in Egypt and then went onto Gallipoli?

The problem I am finding with RAMC is in establishing which unit he served in and so where he served.

Any ideas how I can narrow my search down?

I believe he came from the Hull area.

Thanks

Keith

Yes exactly Kitchener Volunteer!

sorry regarding Egypt must have been thinking of another post have amended to Egypt as it should Read.

It may be difficult to assign him to a Specific RAMC Unit {though you can reduce the Odds by researching the Divisions/Brigades in Egypt on the date of his Embarkation},without further information,always a problem with these large encompassing Corps,where men where shifted to where they were needed;Obviously the best source if they survive are his Enlistment/Service Documents{held if they survive @ the NA};failing that & in abscence of any contemporary documentation in private hands{ie his discharge Sheet/etc} then the only other possible source might be the Contemporary Local Hull papers to see if he ever was mentioned as wounded,Wrote Letters in,etc;

Sorry not to be more helpful.R

Sorry not to be more helpful.R

Please don't apologise, the information you have provided has given me a lot to go on

Thanks for your help

Regards

Keith