Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Goodfellow W

Sammmyc

Hello

I am new to this forum and this is a first post!

I am trying to help an old friend who has since childhood always carried medals along with him. (over 50 years now). They are not his family name.

They are 2 medals from the first world war a bronze and a silver one.

The name on the medals are private W Goodfellow ( he thinks that the number on it is 358299) and Liverpool R (or 2).

I have searched the war graves and have not found anything related to Liverpool.

Any help would be so gratefully recieved to solve this mystery!

Kind regards

Avril

Welcome to the forum Avril.

The two medals sound like the Victory Medal and British War Medal, the 'standard' award for soldiers of the Great War.

His Medal Index Card is here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=8

If you download it there is a section of this forum for people to ask for help in deciphering the cards and if you haven't already looked I would recommend a visit to the main site for more advice on researching soldiers.

He did not die in the war according to the 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' CD. However a root through similar numbers for the Liverpool regiment would suggest that he was in the 10th (Liverpool Scottish) territorial Battalion. The dates of death for all of the men with similar numbers are 1917 and 1918 - conscript soldiers? I'm no expert on the King's Liverpool regiment so one of the resident experts on this regiment may well correct me.

Good luck.

Edited by Andrew Hesketh

Thank you for taking the time out to help.

It is very kind of you to kindly look up the information.

You have provided us with a great link.

Thank you again

Avril

Out of interest, why does the chap you mention always carry these medals. Is there a story there?

Hello

He got the medals as a child while playing marbles as a swop!

And regarded them as lucky!

He always carried them round and thinks it would be nice to give them back!

Avril

If they've brought him luck for 50 years, I reckon you should suggest he hangs on to them. After finding out a bit more about Mr Goodfellow, of course.

I understand the Regimental Museum at Liverpool holds a large database on its Great War soldiers and it will be worth a phone call.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way.

John

Avril.

Just incase you didn't know, appologies if you did.

The Silver medal with the Orange and Blue ribbon is the BWM (British War Medal).

The Bronze one with the "Rainbow" coloured ribbon is the Victory Medal. :)

All The Best.

Mark.

post-5468-1137282961.jpg

Just a quick post to say a big 'Thank You' to you all!

Everyone has been so kind and we now have lots of information and could not have done it without you!

Avril