Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

details on medals

Lambretta150

Good Afternoon

Not strictly, or even approximately, to do with MICs, but I feel the expertise to answer my questions is likely to be in this forum.

I would be very grateful for advice on the following three questions:

What, exactly, would be the inscriptions on

1. My Grandfather's 1914/15 Star? He was called Harry Wilson Richardson and went to France as a 2nd Lieutenant in 1915 with the 5th Bn KOYLI and stayed with them. He left the Army in 1919 as a Lieutenant (entitlement to 14/15 star checked from MIC, ranks with Army List and Regimental Office) I know he held higher rank of Capt the Regimental Office told me he went to France as a Captain, may have been a Major later on, but I have no documentary evidence. His MIC, shows Lt as highest rank attained. (attached as following post - limit reached!)

2. His BW and VM.

3. The BW and VM for my other Grandfather, Reginald Hutchinson Sutch, not entitled to the 14-15 Star, from his MIC. Served as a Lance Corporal in the York and Lancaster Regt, was commissioned in the RFA and served with them until leaving as a Lieutenant in 1919. Again MIC attached.

I do not have access to First World War medals for comparison other than some bits and pieces of photographs on ebay and I have noty mangaed to discern enough to be entirely sure, ewither from the MICs or the photos that I have seen.

Very grateful for any help received and praying that we don't get six or a dozen different answers!!

Regards

Adampost-9906-1137168566.jpg

post-9906-1137168819.jpgThe second MIC.

Regards

Adam

Adam,

I think the following would be correct:

1): 2.LIEUT. H. W. RICHARDSON K.O.Y.L.I.

2): LIEUT. H. W. RICHARDSON.

3): LIEUT. R. H. SUTCH

Regards

Gavin

Gavin

Thanks enormously - no messing, no prevarication, straight in. I am very grateful.

I have been struggling with whether Medals to Officers carried any sort of number or Identification of the Regt or Arm of Service.

If I read it right your information confirms that the 14/15 Star has the Regt or Arm of Service information and rank on posting into Theatre whilst the BW and VM have the closing rank awarded and no Arm of Service details.

Off for a G and T or two to celebrate, or maybe a Rum and Coke? No, Jack Daniels with Ginger Beer and a sliver of lime, that's the one, Methinks!!

toot toot

Adam

The Rank to be impressed onto the Medals is usually indicated on the MiC by an "X" with dots between the arms written by the Rank{or other alternate detail} that is to be impressed[These marks appear on both your MiCs]

Your supposition Ref Officers Medals is almost right,Most Stars do carry the Unit,however a Few just have the Rank & Name,& with BWM/Victory the Reverse is right except with regards to RFC/RAF

The Rank on the pairs is the Highest Rank that they were serving as on Active Overseas Service [if subsequently promoted "At Home" prior to the cessation then that Rank would not be on them]

If I read it right your information confirms that the 14/15 Star has the Regt or Arm of Service information and rank on posting into Theatre whilst the BW and VM have the closing rank awarded and no Arm of Service details.

That's just about spot on, apart from the odd exceptions mentioned above. In additon, ranks rather than 'appointments' are normally shown on British War and Victory Medals. For example, a Lance Corporal would have his rank shown as Private. 1914 Stars often have the battalion number as well.

Regards

Gavin

That's .....the battalion number as well.

Gavin.

VMT. Didn't spot this immedialely - off making mischief in the General Chat forum. What a nice site this is!

Regards

Adam