Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

newspapers and magazine archive

Bert Heyvaert

I'm doing research for two articles; one about the first war museum in Ypres and one about the huge British Legion pilgrimage at the end of the 1920's.

I'd like to have a look at the Legion's inter-war magazines, but it seems that they do not hold copies themselves. I heard of a newspaper and magazine archive in England that might hold copies, but have not yet been able to locate it so far.

I wondered if any palls might be able to help.

Many thanks in advance,

Bert.

Sounds like you mean the Newspaper Library at Colindale, in North London, which is part of the British Museum. They may well have copies of what you want. I don't have a web address for them, but one may exist.

While looking at the Colindale site, I discovered this

new free isp.

It sounds like good value if you are in the UK

Guest Pete Wood

I think this is a better link to searching the database at Colindale Newspaper Library Search

You really need to give Colindale 48 hours notice, as some items are not stored on site. Also be aware that, when I last went there, you can't use a digital camera. Photocopies aren't badly priced, at A4 size, but get very expensive on large newspapers.

A reader's ticket is required. But you can get one on the day.

All the newspapers are bound, many in fat and tall volumes. The old wooden volume holders, on the tables, are a delight - and hold the pages upright. If you are reading a broadsheet, you almost have to stand up to read the text at the top of a page.

Be aware that some magazine are also held at the British Library.

There is a small(!) car park (NCP charges) just opposite the Colindale library, but you must get there early if you want a space. Not far away, as I'm sure you know, is the RAF Museum and archives.....