Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals and rest camps in Le Havre

F.Vaudour

Hello,

I am french and I search about the localization of hospitals ,rest and convalescent camps during the WW1 in Le Havre.

For french speaking people i have a site about the regiments of Le Havre during the WW1

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/regiments.havrais/accueil

Thanks you and sorry for my english

François Vaudour

Hi!

I am afraid that I cannot help much. You may already know this, but the 7th Canadian Stationary Hospital was located in the Havre area in 1916-1917. You can view the War Diaries of this and other Canadian units at the Canadian National Archives website here . You can search the archive data base in french, but I am afraid the entries were kept in english only at that time.

There might have been other Canadian camps and hospitals at Havre, but this is the only one that comes quickly to my mind. Perhaps one of our experts will come to your aid!

François

I can't tell you the exact location but I can tell you what was stationed in Le Havre.

Information taken from "Location of Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations,British Expeditionary Force 1914-1919, Compiled by Ministry of Pensions"

Hospitals-

No 2 General 15/8/14 - 31/5/19

No 1 General 20/8/14 - 30/11/14

No 9 Stationary Oct 1914 - ?

No 6 Stationary Dec 1914 - 31/5/16

No 52 Stationary Oct 1915 - 4/7/14 Known as Isolation Hospital until 1/3/18.

Regards Doug

Hello,

Thanks for your help

Never mind for the exact location, I find a other way.

I does't know the canadian Diary, It is very interesting for me and I studie it closely.

Bye

François

François,

If you found the diary of the 7th Cdn Hospital interesting, you may also want to browse that of the Canadian Base Depot . The Canadian Base Depot was at le Havre until the spring of 1917.

Of course, a Base Depot was not a Hospital or "rest" camp of any sort, but the diary does give a day-to-day account of the goings-on of the area, such as the weather, whether the port was open or closed, and so on.

Regarding camps at or near Le Havre, could I ask if anyone knows where "No 1 Rest Camp" was. According to the War Diary reference I have it was just on the outskirts of the town. Would a "rest camp" such as this appear on the military maps of the area ?

(I have feeling that there is a ref to a "No 2 Rest Camp" too but can't remember where I saw that one)

thanks

Julian

• 7 years later...

I am trying to determine where Rest Camp No 5 was in relation to port of Le Harve; can you help

The reference I found to it says its about 2 miles from the docks, in a location called 'Ecault'

Craig

The Army Medical Services Museum has a map of Le havre during the war showing the locations of all the hospital