Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last Surviving Officer?

J T Gray

There was a piece in Jan 6 "Ringing World" regarding ringing bells for the 106th birthday of the last surviving officer from WW1 - late, but I only got to it last night.

Maddeningly, I've left it at home and cannot remember his name for the life of me, except that it was one I wasn't familiar with. Can anyone throw any light on him from this description?

I will try to remember (34 is too young for Alzheimer's, isn't it?) to transcribe the piece at the weekend if anyone is interested - unless there is a third ringer on the forum?

Adrian

OK, I will try to transcribe it. If I could just remember his flippin' name...

Adrian

From “The Ringing World” No 4941 – January 6 2006

"CELEBRATORY QUARTER FOR PHILIP

Philip Mayne M.A. (Cantab.) celebrated his 106th birthday on 22nd November 2005, and on 25thNovember a band of Cambridge engineers, including his son-in-law, celebrated his birthday with a quarter peal, as they have done every year since his 100th Birthday.

According to WW1 records he currently one of only a handful of survivors f the Great War and the only surviving officer.

Philip Mayne is now thought to be the oldest surviving member of the Cambridge University Engineering Department(having graduated in 1921), the oldest member of King’s College, Cambridge, and indeed of the whole University of Cambridge. As with the 100th birthday quarter peal, this one was rung at the church of St Edward, King & Martyr, because this was the chapel of King’s College before the present one was built.”

The ringing bit (if you would like an attempt at explanation, please PM me and paste this into Utterly!) for any other ringers on the forum – I know there’s one out there, surely there are more?

Cambridge. (St Edward, King & Martyr) 25 Nov 2005, 1272 Cambridge Surprise Minor, David Newland 1, Frank King 2, Christine Northeast 3, Claire Barlow 4, Tome Ridgman 5, Peter Long © 6

Does anyone know any more?

Adrian

Guest Simon Bull

I have never heard of this gentleman before, and, as the last serving officer, one might have expected him to be particularly well known. Interesting how veterans are stil being "discovered".

I have never heard of this gentleman before, and, as the last serving officer, one might have expected him to be particularly well known. Interesting how veterans are stil being "discovered".

Well, I'm glad SOMEONE was interested!

I suspect that Harry Patch (or was it Harry Allingham?) may hold part of the clue to the reason - IIRC he had shut out WW1 until he went into a nursing home, and then was reminded again by a flickering light that was just like something in the trenches...

I do also wonder if there are one or two old boys out there who have reached 105-6, and are "discovered", and feel embarassed on being questioned that they weren't there... Red herrings, due to embarassment?

So...

Is anyone else going to find out about this chap?

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone else going to find out about this chap?

Adrian

I have tracked down his address and I will approach the home to see if it would be possible for me to interview him for my ongoing project (http://www.harbourart.co.uk/war/html/flash.htm) on the memories of the vet's.

If I do get to see him I will post more details here. So watch this space.

Hi Aidrian,

This is, indeed, a revelation. As far as I was aware Rev Prof Norman Walker Porteous was the last known of officer and he died over two years agao now.

I would be very interested to hear what further information develops.

Thank you for posting the information you have.

Cheers,

Tim

There is another thread on this on the previous page - Here, about his meeting with Henry Allingham. Apparently it has been a not long discovered piece of news.

The news article is here News Article

Well well, how strange that a chap who's name was on the internet escaped everyone's notice until now, then suddenly seems to come to everyone's attention at once!

Well done on tracking down an address, Harbourart, good luck with the interview!

Adrian

• 4 weeks later...