Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

suspended death sentence

ressmex

If a soldier was sentenced to death for what ever reason and had that setence suspended ? (not sure if they would have changed the sentence or kept it in place) would that soldier have been returned to his unit or another unit and would he still have been forfeit medals pension etc. If KIA would anything change? What about FGCM papers would they state he was under suspended death sentence or what ? the reasons for the questions are to try and explain the demise of a relative who was KIA in 3d battle of the Skarpe we think but whose family was left destitute as they were refused entitled to a widows pension. (more detailed explanation in a previous thread) all avenues looked at indicate he was KIA or left it up in the air (death cert under cause of death states death presumed)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP IN MY QUEST.

TOM

Tom

While it was War Office policy during the first three years of the war that the widows of soldiers shot for military crimes would not be entitled to pensions, the War Cabinet had a change of heart towards the end of 1917 and they were allowed the same pension rights as everyone else. Hence, I believe that your man's widow would have received a pension, especially since his sentence was suspended. Anyway, since he was KIA this would have automatically erased the sentence and he would have been entitled to medals. Indeed, the purpose of a suspended sentence was to give the soldier a chance to make good and I know of a number of cases where a man distinguished himself in action and had his suspended sentence washed out as a result. If he was killed, he was seen to have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Charles M

Tom

While it was War Office policy during the first three years of the war that the widows of soldiers shot for military crimes would not be entitled to pensions, the War Cabinet had a change of heart towards the end of 1917 and they were allowed the same pension rights as everyone else. Hence, I believe that your man's widow would have received a pension, especially since his sentence was suspended. Anyway, since he was KIA this would have automatically erased the sentence and he would have been entitled to medals. Indeed, the purpose of a suspended sentence was to give the soldier a chance to make good and I know of a number of cases where a man distinguished himself in action and had his suspended sentence washed out as a result. If he was killed, he was seen to have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Charles M

Cheers for that Charles he died on 08/05/1917 and the family story goes that a relative traveled to Edinburgh to enquire as to why the wife was not in recipt of a pension and was informed by the clerk he was not supposed to see this document? placed it on the desk then left the room for a short while. she was then looked after by the rest of the family as she had children. As far as medals go I have his MIC which gives no indication other than his entitlement the BWM and VM although the serial did start with a D any significance.

TOM