Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF Database

marc leroux

Some time back I found a searchable database of Australian (possibly ANZAC) soldiers that served in the Great War gave details like date of birth, enlistment, etc.

I was looking for it again tonight, but couldn't find it again when I looked tonight.

Any help in locating the site would be much appreciated

Thanks

marc

Marc,

If you google the name you are interested in, and find it on that site, click on the cached version and you might still get the entry page.

Christine

Christine is correct but it is also possible to set up a de facto Search procedure for the database for individuals for whom there may be several possibilities (such as multiple John Smiths). The information was cached by Google in July 2005 prior to the restrictions placed on access so you’re not technically entering the site as it exists at the present time. The steps are as follows:

1. Put the terms “unit details” into Google (use quotation marks and search pages from Australia only)

2. Hit “search within results” (at bottom of page) and enter the surname that you’re searching for in the new window.

3. Go to the last page of entries and hit “repeat search with the omitted results included” (this is at the bottom of the text) – this will bring up the reference to the embarkation details for all people of that surname not just a sample

4. Scroll through the entries and find the person you’re searching for

5. Right click – open in new window – on the cached option. This will bring up the unit embarkation details.

6. Scroll down the list and left-click the name of the person you’re after – a dialogue box will then pop-up – hit the red square in the top right corner of this box (don’t touch anything else). The dialogue box will disappear and a new window with the individual personnel details should appear.

A bit time consuming but saves downloading the embarkation rolls and nominal rolls from the AWM. Don’t try and enter via the adfa address – this will throw up the dialogue box that can’t be removed by hitting the red square.

Hope this is of use.

Graham W.

Many thanks to all who replied. It's always nice to know how to beat the system :)

I have found 1 of the men I was looking for using the approach Graham suggested.

I was not able to find the second man, and perhaps I'm presuming that he was with the AIF and he wasn't

The letter I have is signed:

Lieutenant J. T. Purcell, A.V.C. Dated April 1917 from Egypt. I believe his first name was James. My presumption was that he was with the Australian Vet. Corps. Any ideas on how I might track him down?

TIA

marc

Marc

Could this be your man Here

AVC = Army Veterinary Corps.

Hope this helps

Steve

Marc

Took a chance on his middle name, London Gazette shows a James Thomas Purcell, Lieutenant, Army Veterinary Corps.

Link to the page is Here

Again, hope this helps.

Steve

Steve,

Many, many thanks. I believe that you've found him for me.

marc