Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Welsh Guards

Nick Farr

I have details of the 867 Welsh Guardsmen who died in the Great War.

The Welsh Guards were formed on the 26th February 1915 when George V singed a Royal Warrant to form a Welsh Regiment of Foot Guards.

I would be grateful for any information from members who had relatives who served in the battalion and also any information from anyone who may hold details from the Battalion's war dairies.

Many thanks

Nick (an anorak when it comes to the Welsh Guards and certain to be a boring git at dinner parties)

Nick, If you need any help with Welsh Guards DCM citations PM me.

Owen.

Hi Owen

Many thanks for replying to my post. Yes please is the answer, any info you have would be gratefully received. Of the Welsh Guardsmen who died, my records show the following three as receiving the DCM.

823 Sgt E Jones DOW 24/8/18

1229 Sgt A H Evans DOW 17/9/18

2361 Pte John Pritchard KIA 28/11/17

I am endeavouring to add to my database information on those Guardsmen survived. So, any info you may have on citations, rank, service number etc, would again be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Nick

823 Sjt E Jones,1st Bn., W Gds. (Treorchy) (LG 5 Dec. 1918).

By his fearless example of courage and determination he enabled his platoon to gain their objective, and was at the head of his men when he was very severely wounded.

(That's how it appears in the book. Note Sjt not Sgt.)

1229 Sjt.A.H.Evans,Welsh Gds.(Marshfield,nrCardiff) (LG 17 Apr.1918)

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During a period of eighteen months, he performed his work in a most exemplary and praiseworthy manner, showing an absolute disgregard for danger and the greatest devotion to duty.

2361 Pte J.O. Pritchard (Carnarvon), W Gds. (LG 17 Sept. 1917).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in guiding a platoon of a relieving battalion to the front line, through a very heavy barrage, although wounded in fifteen different places early during the operation. He covered in all a distance of over three miles, and it was entirely due to his pluck and determination that a large section of the front line was relieved. He refused to have his wounds attended to until he had carried out his duty, after which he was carried back to the dressing station on a stretcher.

(what?......WOUNDED FIFTEEN TIMES!!!!!)

2361 Pte J.O. Pritchard (Carnarvon), W Gds. (LG 17 Sept. 1917).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in guiding a platoon of a relieving battalion to the front line, through a very heavy barrage, although wounded in fifteen different places early during the operation. He covered in all a distance of over three miles, and it was entirely due to his pluck and determination that a large section of the front line was relieved. He refused to have his wounds attended to until he had carried out his duty, after which he was carried back to the dressing station on a stretcher.

(what?......WOUNDED FIFTEEN TIMES!!!!!)

Owen

Many thanks.........I wonder if it should of been a VC?

Regards

Nick

• 3 months later...

Nick

I have just discovered an ancestor (1st cousin twice removed) of mine who was killed serving with the Welsh Guards in WWI his details from CWGC are shown below.

ALDERMAN, ERNEST WILLIAM

Initials: E W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Welsh Guards

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 02/05/1918

Service No: 3899

Additional information: Only son of Edward and Priscilla Alderman, of 16, Teall Rd., Saltley, Birmingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 13.

Cemetery: DOULLENS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION No.2

Have you got any info that might be useful in establishing how this man died?

Thanks

Tony Smith

Hi Tony

Private Alderman DOW. He is buried along side 3 other WG who also DOW when the Battalion was holding the line at Ayette. (From the 25th April) It is likely that he succumbed to wounds received from German Artillery or sniper fire, but I can’t be sure.

Trust this info is helpful. You could get details of his service record from RHQ at Wellington Barracks in London. It will cost you £25, but they hold ALL the Guards service records.

Let me know if I can be of any other help.

Nick

Nick (an anorak when it comes to the Welsh Guards and certain to be a boring git at dinner parties)

Personally, I think I'd rather have you next to me than Chantelle, or Tom Cruise......

Hi Nick,

The following men from the Welsh Guards are listed on Barry's Roll of Honour. If you could any info to that on the CGWC site or SDGW I'd be really grateful!:

Cpl. J. Broom 3Coy/1st Bn. KIA 1/12/17 Gouzeaucourt Brit. Cem. 1869

Pte. A. E. Clarke 1st Bn. KIA 27/9/15 Loos Mem. 598

Cpl. I. E. Drake 1st Bn. KIA 24/8/18 Croisilles Cem. 1215

Cpl. C. Golding 1st Bn. KIA 10/9/16 Thiepval Mem. 432

Pte. D.C. Grant 1st Bn. KIA 27/9/15 Loos Memorial 1331

Pte. T.G. Hill 1st Bn.(Croix de Guerre) KIA 1/12/17 Gouzeaucourt Brit. Cem. 1870

2/Lt R.R. Jones 1st Bn.(DSO) DoW 25/8/17 Mendinghem Cem.

Pte. T.H. Lewis 1st Bn. KIA 10/9/16 Delville Wood Cem. 2051

Pte. A.J. Slee 1st Bn. KIA 10/9/16 Thiepval Mem. 1654

Pte. H.F. Weaver 1st Bn. KIA 8/4/16 Ypres Reservoir Cem. 1720

Thanks!

Jonathan - researching the men behind the names on Barry's Roll of Honour.

Hi Jonathan

If you got the CGWC and SDGW details…this is the only other info I have got.

2/Lt R.R. Jones 1st Bn.(DSO) DoW 25/8/17 Mendinghem Cem.

Joined the Battalion in 1916 (no actual date) served with the BEF from 10.2.17 to 25.8.17. Wounded in action 31.7.17. Died of wounds 25.8.17. Mentioned in Despatches and awarded D.S.O.

I do have very brief details about every WG that served with the BEF. It shows by their service number how groups of ‘mates’ joined up together. Let me know if that is of interest on the WG you have listed.

Regards

Nick

I would be grateful if you could copy me in on any info you find about these men or any other WG.

Thanks, Nick. Yes please to the offer of the info.

It would be interesting to see who joined up with them. I'll also gladly pass on details I uncover.

Regards,

Jonathan