Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Noroflk Yeomary Blacksmiths

jemm

I have been trying to find information on this man for about a year now. Today I spoke ot his cousin and she had managed to find a letter with his service number on and a address which was Horace Harcourt Howell 31st

Field Company.

With having the service number I have now downloaded his MIC but can make head nor tail of it. Could someone please interpret and if possible give me any information on the 31st Field Company. Apparently this man was a Blacksmith and was working well behind the lines when he was seriously injured by a bomb, so much so that he was hospitalised for about 2 years.

post-4696-1137083652.jpg

I would suggest that these numbers are not in the right order. I think the order should be:

Norfolk Yeomanry 1390 (consistent with pre-1917 TF numbers I am aware of)

Royal Engineers 3772 (again consistent with a TF number before 1917)

Royal Engineers 440663 (consistent with the number changes in early 1917 and allocated to the 2nd East Lancs Field Company which became 428th Field Company of 42nd Division after February 1917)

He was awarded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal and was discharged from the army and awarded a Silver War Badge (referenced by the SWB List) The SWB medal rolls may list which unit he was discharged from.

I don't know what the 31st Field Company would be. It is not listed on the RE units list for overseas service on the main site. Perhaps it was a UK only unit. You will need an expert for that!

Steve.

He was awarded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal

He was actually awarded the Territorial Force War Medal[T.F.War] from R.E.TFM2 Roll

Should have gone to Specsavers! ;)

He was actually awarded the Territorial Force War Medal[T.F.War] from R.E.TFM2 Roll

Should have gone to Specsavers! ;)

Awarded this medal as well as the Silver War Badge ?

There wasn't a 31st Field Company I'm afraid. It was 31st Fortress Company, which prior to the outbreak of war was serving in Ceylon. It returned to the UK in September 1914 and was redesignated 31 Army Troops Company. Army Troops Companies could work anywhere, at the front or behind the frontline. By 1918, it was serving with the BEF as part of 1 Corps.

Terry Reeves

Ooops!!

Perhaps I should just clean my glasses!!!

Steve.

Awarded this medal as well as the Silver War Badge ?

Yes,

The Bronze TFWM was awarded to those already serving in the Territorial Force;prior to 4th August 1914,or having previously served @ least 4 Years in the TF,before August 1914,re~enlisted before 30th September 1914 & Volunteered to & served Overseas,but who didnt earn;either, the 1914 or 1914~15 Stars{ie Went O/S in 1916,or served O/S where there was no entitlement to the Stars}

The War Badge would be granted as a result of his Discharge{SWB List}due to Wounds or Sickness Etc;This Roll is obtainable @ the NA{Not Online}along with the Medal Roll Pages.{Referred to by the Codes following the Medal Description on the Card.

So am I right then in thinking that Horace must have already been in the army before the outbreak of War?

I know he was wounded, hence the Silver War Badge, is it possible that he would be mentioned in the Gazette do you think?

He would have been a member of the Territorial Force{ie Volunteer Part Time Volunteer Soldiers like the TA Today}so would not have been "serving" as such but would have attended Weekly Training Sessions & Camps,for which he would have been paid,As he received the TFWM it shows that he had by September 1914 stated that he was prepared to Serve Overseas if required to do so{Basically Men of the TF had no compunction @ that time to serve O/S unless they wanted to}

It is unlikely that he would have appared in the LG; unless he was awarded a Gallantry Award or Mentioned in Despatches{& there is No Gallantry/MiD Index Card}though if he was later a member of the Civil Service he might appear later on appointment or if awarded an ISM.[Or various other Civil/Government Notices that appear in the LG]