Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VERDUN VIRGIN

David Filsell

Despite some 20 years interest in the Great War and a fair knowledge of the British front, I am intending to visit Verdun in March/April this year. I would greatly welcome advice regarding reasonable hotels guest houses etc in the area. Any advice appreciated

Despite some 20 years interest in the Great War and a fair knowledge of the British front, I am intending to visit Verdun in March/April this year. I would greatly welcome advice regarding reasonable hotels guest houses etc in the area. Any advice appreciated

David, you could try the verdun tourist office; they send free brochures; site : http://www.verdun-tourisme.com/

pascal

Gosh. For a moment I thought you'd found one in Verdun. That would have been quite an exploit.

David,

A good basic and cheap hotel, spotlessly clean, is Hotel Les Colombes, only €35 - 40 a night including breakfast. The address is 9 Avenue de Garibaldi leading to the railway station built by no less an architect than Eiffel. In the same street are two excellent bakers. There are two restaurants next to the hotel and there are many cheap restaurants near the river.

You can park your car for € 5 a night underneath the hotel, but it seems like descending into a grotto.

See www.hotel-a-verdun.com/html/colombes. State your wishes when emailing the owner and do not forget to confirm your booking by sending yet another mail.

Sadly, one can no longer enjoy a quiet pint in the late afternoon sun at the Café de la Paix: it is no longer there. Try and find LE LAPIN QUI FUME( The Smoking Rabbit) in one of the side streets. It sports a picture of a rabbit with a pipe on its facade.

All the best,

Fred

Hi David,

Nice to see your name again. I agree with Fred about the Colombes. It's been recently redecorated and is fine, although you must expect a very simple room. I recently had a very nice meal at the restaurant with the Greek name just by the hotel. Another hotel in town with easy parking is the Cloche d'Or, which is not far from the Colombes but a bit more expensive. It has its own restaurant. For all the other central hotels you have to park in the street. Slightly further out of town, the Tigre, Orchidees, Prunellia, Privilege and Formula 1 all have their own parking.

Don't waste any time with booking. It's the 90th anniversary of the battle this year and there will be more visitors than ususal. N.B. some of the hotels are offering a third night free to visitors who book two nights - that applies, for example, to the Prunellia, which is offering a third night free provided the guests eat at the hotel.

All the best,

Christina

Hi Paul,

I suppose it's a mile and a half from the centre. You could walk it in half an hour.

Christina

I stayed at the Prunelia last year, on Christina's suggestion. I found it very nice, and at a good price.

Paul

Thanks folks, and does it have a restaurant? If so what do you think?

It does have a restaurant, but I didn't eat dinner there. It had a nice breakfast in the morning.

Paul

It does have a restaurant. You can eat à la carte or choose from a number of set menus. There is also a superb buffet. The breakfast buffet is also wonderful.

Christina