Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7Bn KOR Lancs Regt 1918

Guest mwfoster

I am researching the circumstances surrounding the death of my Granduncle, Pte Joshua Foster, who died in action on 8-8-1918. All I know is that he is buried in the Pernes British Military Cemetery, France.

I would appreciate any details.

Thank you,

Mark

I am researching the circumstances surrounding the death of my Granduncle, Pte Joshua Foster, who died in action on 8-8-1918. All I know is that he is buried in the Pernes British Military Cemetery, France.

I would appreciate any details.

Thank you,

Mark

Mark,

From what I know 7th Btn was disbanded early 1918 and the men split between 1/4th & 1/5th Btns (55th div). No Kings Own Btns took part in the Aug 8th assault along the Amiens - St Quentin Road.

The nearest Btn to this action was the 2/5th which were near Arras. The rest of the Btns were in the 5th Army area north of the La Bassee Canal. The main function of 5th Army was to maintain the link between the main offensive on the right, and King Alberts operations on the left. It was not to get heavily involved nor press an attack. On the other hand it was to follow up any enemy withdrawal, pin them down and allow them no rest.

It may be worth contacting the Kings Own museum in Lancaster.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how I would go about contacting the museum?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

From what I know 7th Btn was disbanded early 1918 and the men split between 1/4th & 1/5th Btns (55th div). No Kings Own Btns took part in the Aug 8th assault along the Amiens - St Quentin Road.

The nearest Btn to this action was the 2/5th which were near Arras. The rest of the Btns were in the 5th Army area north of the La Bassee Canal. The main function of 5th Army was to maintain the link between the main offensive on the right, and King Alberts operations on the left. It was not to get heavily involved nor press an attack. On the other hand it was to follow up any enemy withdrawal, pin them down and allow them no rest.

It may be worth contacting the Kings Own museum in Lancaster.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how I would go about contacting the museum?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

The museum can be reached at, kingsownmuseum@iname.com

The curator is Peter Donnelly and he's a very helpful guy. Best of luck with your search.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...