Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Germans at Bapaume

AndyMacdonald

My great-great uncle was killed at Bapaume on 25 August 1918. He was Pte George Ogilvie of 1st Battalion, Canterbury Regiment, New Zealand Expeditionary Force. I have all of his service records, letters and a map reference for his original battlefield burial, as recorded by a platoon mate. However, I want to know the German unit that was defending Bapaume on that day so I can read their account of the action. Can any one advise? I have several NZ accounts of the attack.

Andy M

post-6447-1137235645.jpg

Andy

Please study this German situation map of the Bapaume area at the relevant time and try to narrow down exactly where his unit was fighting. Armed with that information, we should be able to make some progress, though I do not have all the histories of the regiments involved there.

Jack

I hope you don't mind my butting in on this one but Jack, what a useful map. I am studying a MGC unit and know that some of their personnel were captured at two locations; Biefvillers and at Behagnies, both on the 25th March.

Julian

Julian

Note that this is an August 1918 map. I assume that you are talking about the original advance. I am not sure if I have a March map. It is possible. If you want me to have a look, please say so.

Jack

Julian,

Do you have a map of the area showing where they were captured? I looked over some sources I have and it appears your men may have been captured by members of the 20th Division (77th, 79th and 92nd IR). These units advanced toward and through Bapaume on 21 March and were credited with taking the city in some accounts.

I have two maps however one is in such poor condition I doubt I can scan it. Let me know on the exact locations and I will see if matches with any maps I have.

Ralph

thank you, I read Andy's original post too quickly. Yes I meant March 25th 1918 ! Actually I wondered if your map was dated 3 or 8 then realised something wrong with the directions the arrows pointed !!

Yes Behagnies (retreating from Mory) and Biefvillers (retreating from Arras-Bapaume road). these are 2 separate reports from officers in 123rd Coy MGC, 123 Bde, 41 Div (I've got all the relevant War Diary excerpts).

thanks

Julian

Jack what is - would be - the source for such a map. I'll try the IWM library for the "German Official history" if that's it !?G