Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last Resting Place ?

Guest Chris Witcomb

Guest Chris Witcomb

Hello,

My greatgrandfather ( 2nd Batt Suffolk Reg ) is remembered on the Theipval Memorial - Died 19th Aug 1916, I believe in Cochranes Alley.

Although his inclusion on this memorial would be because his body was never found, he is also recorded as 'Killed in Action'. If he was 'KIA', presumably there was evidence, ie a body, or surely he would have been listed as 'missing'. Does this suggest that he was killed and his body was indeed not 'missing' at the time, but later his grave could not be located, possibly due to subsequent shell fire etc,? So he was added to the Theipval Memorial as one of those who's body has no known resting place?

Hope that makes sense.

Any ideas or comments most welcome

Yours puzzled,

Chris

Hi Chris , I think you've answered your own query.

My Great Uncle Dave, see avatar, was originally listed as wounded in the War Diary. Then Dead. He's remembered on the Arras Memorial.

Chris

Two main reasons why it could have happened.

First is that he was posted as "missing" after the action. A period of time would then have passed - possibly up to a year. If there was no news, then the War Office would have made an official presumption that he had been killed. In terms of many of the Somme dead, the bodies lay in No Man's Land for many weeks, as it was unsafe to retrieve them. By the time it was safe, bodies had disappeared under subsequent shellfire or the bodies couldnt be otherwise identified.

Second possibility is that he was buried but the grave was either destroyed or its location lost in the remaining fighting.

John

Chris.

Another possibility is that one of his comrades actually saw him killed.

Neil

Guest Chris Witcomb

Thanks, Guys. I guess I was hoping for some inspiration, clue or evidence to throw more light on exactly how he died. Maybe a bit morbid, but it feels like it would bridge the gap of 90 years..........

Guest Chris Witcomb

Thanks, Guys. I guess I was hoping for some inspiration, clue or evidence to throw more light on exactly how he died. Maybe a bit morbid, but it feels like it would bridge the gap of 90 years..........

Guest Chris Witcomb

Chris

You mention Cochrane Alley. Was this a German trench that the Suffolk's attacked? If so, a third possibility is that he was killed in the trench and buried by the Germans. Whilst he would have had a decent burial, they would not have been overly interested in making and recording individual indentifications.

John