Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Arthur Wood DCM, MM.

MedalHunter

Hello to All,

I'm going to dive straight in wth this one and ask all you gallantry medal experts to help identify this soldier and the units/regiments he was in. We have a name Thomas Arthur Wood. We have a group of miniature medals comprising the following :- M.B.E military, D.C.M. first type, M.M. GV, Q.S.A. six bars, K.S.A. no bars,14/15 Trio with two M.I.D.s. We have tried a couple of medal index cards but due to the common name so far without any luck. Looked into the London Gazette so far with no luck. We do know he was from and lived in London and that when he was discharged he went on to work at the Woolwich Arsenal. This leads us to believe that he may have been in the Royal Artillery or similar. Obviously a career soldier who saw a lot of action and liked being at the sharp end. Now there is one major assumption to all this and that is that his medal group is genuine and not embellished in any way. However the owner of this little group tells me that he saw the originals before the gentlemans son, who was in possesion of them, died in 1997. At this time the full size medals disappeared from the dead mans house. So can anybody help us find out more about what this man did and where he earned his awards? There is clearly a very interesting story to this man.

I hope that someone out there can help and look forward to any replies. Thanks in advance.

Regards Ian

PS Apologies for the problems trying to post earlier.

Think this is your man.

John.

D.C.M. citation gazetted 21 October 1918.

31600 B.S.M. T. A. Wood, R.G.A. (Sligo).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This warrant officer has performed exceptionally good work with the battery since he came out, over three years ago.

Medal index cards

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=2

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=2

Thanks Guys,

I got the Gazette entries for MM and DCM. It's those little tips, that come from experience, that make all the difference between finding something and not. Will download the cards and hopefully find out more about his unit/s. Will keep you posted on any developments.

Cheers Ian