Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Hambo

I am researching an officer fom this battalion who died of wounds on the 31st of January 1917 and wondered if anyone knows the whereabouts of the battalion and what they might have been engaged in leading up to the 31st

Many Thanks Hambo

I am researching an officer fom this battalion who died of wounds on the 31st of January 1917 and wondered if anyone knows the whereabouts of the battalion and what they might have been engaged in leading up to the 31st

Was your officer named Lt.Donahoo (acting Captain) by any chance? If so he recieved his wound on 24th January "in the Ypres Sector". This was just during "trench holding" with nothing particular happening (though there had been a costly trench raid the previous day).

dave.

"in the Ypres Sector".

Sorry I can't be more specific as this is the only info in the Regimental history. I've had a look at some other unit's histories from the same Brigade and Division and , of what I've seen, none of theirs are any more specific either. The War Diary is probably the best bet for the exact location.

Dave.

Dave

That's him! Do you happen to know where they were at the time?

Thanks Hambo