Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ignorant novice needs help

Guest andyfi

I would like to find out about my grandfather Major Percy Ellerbeck who I know served in the East Lancashire Regiment in WW 2. I have little or no knowledge of any of his life apart from a Burma Star and a few other items.Can somebody please tell me where to start looking. :D

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hello Andy and welcome aboard!

The records for soldiers who served in WW2 are not as readily available as the ones for WW1, however as next-of-kin, who should be able to get hold of a copy by telephoning the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow on 0141 224 3509. They hold the records of officers who left the Army from 1922 onwards.

Happy hunting,

Ian

You could also try the regimental archives at Fulwood Barracks, Preston,Lancs. The staff are extremely helpful and will point you in the right direction if they don't have anything solid themselves. (They've also re-printed the History of the East Lancashire Regiment 1939-45, which is a fairly in depth breakdown of each battalion's activities during WW2 - seeing as your Grandad was a Major, he may even get a mention in it!).

Dave.