Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW lookup please

bcerha

I have just recieved a picture postcard of a soldier in the 17th Lancers on his horse. He is Pte Gordon Tyler of the 17th Lancers. He came from Sittingbourne in Kent . Could someone please look him up to see if he is on SDGW or he survived?

Many thanks in advance.

I will scan in the image and post it later for those interested.

Regards

David

He died I'm afraid. Detail on SDGW:

Gordon Herbert Tyler, 17th Lancers, Private 23593, born & residence Sittingbourne, enlisted Waterford, died 16/06/17. It does actually say 'died' as opposed to 'died of wounds' or 'killed in action' etc.

Thanks Andrew. As well as the portrait card I got a colour illustration card of the 17th Lancers (by Tuck) he had sent to his mum in 1916. Thats how I got the details of his name and where he lived. I bought them on ebay (where I buy a lot of my postcards featuring mounted troops) and the vendor stated that they had come from a recent house clearance in Sittingbourne. A shame that the people parting with them do not know the sad story behind them. I shall try to put that right by contacting him, but at least they will have a safe home with me.

Thanks again

Regards

David

Here are the picture that I was referring to for interest:

The postmark is Aug 1916 from the Curragh and the photcard was taken by a photographer in the same location.

post-3365-1136924399.jpg

post-3365-1136924412.jpg

I'm glad they've gone to somebody with an interest. Nice idea to let the vendor know.

bcerha, I too was going to bid on them, having a keen interest in cavalry regiments and lancer regiments in paticular. You did well with that one. Nice photo.

I got a nice one today off ebay too:

mountedofficersandNCOs.jpg

Ciaran,

Brilliant photo - do you know the Regt? I tend to have a look at all the cards on ebay which show soldiers on horses. My main interest is RHA, RFA and the Dragoon Guards but I've got some great ones to other cavalry regiments, the ASC, RE and others as well.

Reagrds

David

He died I'm afraid. Detail on SDGW:

Gordon Herbert Tyler, 17th Lancers, Private 23593, born & residence Sittingbourne, enlisted Waterford, died 16/06/17. It does actually say 'died' as opposed to 'died of wounds' or 'killed in action' etc.

Any details as to where he might be buried or commemorated?

Thanks again

David

Actually just looked him up on the CWGC site. He is buried in plot X B 3 at TINCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY on the Somme, 7km east of Peronne. His service number was GS/23593. Anyone visiting TINCOURT in the future I would be most grateful for a photgraph of his grave.

Thanks very much

David

Ciaran,

Brilliant photo - do you know the Regt? I tend to have a look at all the cards on ebay which show soldiers on horses. My main interest is RHA, RFA and the Dragoon Guards but I've got some great ones to other cavalry regiments, the ASC, RE and others as well.

Reagrds

David

Difficult to make out the badge but judging by the shape its made up of Dragoon Gaurds, Royal Artillery (not sure if its field or horse) and another regt. which is difficult to make out. The photographic studio was in Holborn so it could be Life Guards but that is pure speculation.

I too look at the cards on Ebay and have probably outbid you in a few auctions (sorry!) but I tend to leave the Artillery and R.A.S.C. ones alone. I tend to go for the Yeomanry Regiments that served on the Western Front and the regular Cavalry of the Line.