Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Guns in the Nieuport Sector?

bcerha

I am currently undertaking some research on a relative and found that as a former AB in the RN he was recalled to the colours in 1914 to the RNR. He arrived on the continent some time in early 1915 having been in Australia at the outbreak of the war. He seems to have spent most of his time in the Nieuport Sector (Belgian coast??) serving field guns. He held the 1914-15 Star the WM and VM. In addition in 1917 he was awarded the French Croix De Guere for maintaining smoke screens. He was wounded in late 1917 when a shell exploded nearby and he lost the sight in one eye. He was AB Cornelius Luck RNR.

Does anyone know if these field guns were part of the Royal Naval Division or something else? Any information that would lead to me getting a better idea of his service on the western front would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Regards

David

Hello,

Look at topic 'Nieuwpoort (photographs of the Western front).

Vice-Admiral BACON placed naval guns of different calibres near Nieuwpoort.

They were manned by RNR.

Regards,

Cnock

Thanks very much - I'll follow that up and have a look. I will follow up the information on Vice Admiral BACONs guns as they do not look as though they were part of the Royal Naval Division. Certainly the citation for the Croix de Guerre would seem to indicate they were firing in support of, or under command of a French formation headquarters.

thanks again

David