Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper Arthur Leadley R.E.

slovdave

Hi all.

My name is David Stewart, and I am currently living in East Kilbride, near Glasgow.

I have been using this great website for reference, on and off, for a year or so, but this is my first go at the forum so apologies in advance if I do anything obviously wrong or stupid.

I am researching my Maternal Grandfather, the above mentioned Arthur Leadley. I have so far got an outline service history and an MIC entry confirming the medals which I have inherited. Now I am attempting to add some detail to the basic outline as due to familial bust ups we have no real information other than some stories which may or may not be accurate.

To begin at the beginning, Arthur's service started in late 1914 when he joined 1st (home counties) Signal Company T.F. in Brighton. his unit, as I understand it ,was the signals unit for 44 Div. a T.F. Division. Soon after the outbreak of hostilities, his unit was transferred to 28 Div. a regular formation. This Division was shipped to France in time for 2nd Ypres and then Loos, following which they embarked for Salonika, where they stayed for the remainder of the war.

So far so good and his early embarkation dates support this. However later things start to diverge.

So, first question, did 1st (home counties) Signal Company stay with 28 Div in Salonika or was it reassigned to another Division? I have been absolutely unable to get a definitive answer to this question as the only OOB I can find for the Division in Salonika does not show a Signals unit at all.

Second question, at some point Arthur appears to have been wounded as he was awarded a silver war badge. How would I go about tracking down where and when the wound occurred?

I think that is enough for now, and thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Cheers.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Stewart

The Medal Rolls for SWBs are at the National Archives at Kew.

In general they will give:

Date discharged.

Date enlisted.

Unit discharged from.

Occasionally, cause of wound or sickness (often just a W for Wounded or an S for Sickness)

He seems to have served past early 1917 as he was re-numbered 538063 which is a TF number belonging to the Home Counties Signal Company.

Can't help with the Order of Battle for salonika but the 28th Division page on the Long, Long Trail does not mention the Signal Company leaving 28th Division at all.

Steve.

WOW, that's quick!

Thanks Stebie9173. I should have mentioned that he did continue to serve, (indeed he stayed in the T.A. between the wars and served through the second war as well).

I can now work on the assumption that he was still with his original unit in early 1917, and presumably in Salonika.

That's most helpful, thanks.

Cheers.

Dave.

Dave

They arrived at Winchester on 5 January 1915 and served in France from January 1915 until 1917. They were in Macedonia from July 1917, still with 28 Div, and remained there until the end of the war with the Division.

Out of interest, the Division, along with the Divisional Signal Company, served in Turkey from April 1919 until June 1923.

Terry Reeves

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thanks Terry.

That is most helpful. Another small piece of the puzzle falls into place.

There is a further item here which I am not sure about, but I will get the papers in front and double check before I post again.

Once again thanks.

Dave.

Aha! just read your edit. That fits as his service record includes Turkey in his theatres as well as Germany last of all ( as I assume part of the army of occupation). Oddly it also includes Egypt, any thoughts?.

Dave

The Division started to embark at Marseille for Egypt on 24th October 1915, landing at Alexandria. The move was completed by 22nd November. It completed its disembarkation at Salonika on 4th January 1916.

Terry Reeves

Again Terry, thanks.

Food for thought here, will go away and check my notes.

And by the way, Happy birthday, if you will allow from a newbie.

Cheers.

Dave.

Hi Terry,

Any info on where in Turkey, 28 Div served between the armistice and june 1923?.

Just looked at MIC and under 'Theatres of war served in' it lists France, Belgium, Egypt, Turkey, Germany, but no mention of Salonika/Macedonia. Would this just have been lumped under Egypt in the same way that his service record simply states 'Mediterranean Expeditionary force 06.11.15 to 06.06.18' or have I missed something here?.

Also, given that 1st Home Counties signal Company was a T.F. unit, surely the T.F./T.A. soldiers would be entitled to come home soon after the cessation of hostilities. Any ideas how this worked?.

Cheers.

Dave.

Dave

In 1919 they were principlally in the Constantinople / Chanaq / Haider Pashaareas. By April 19120 they were part of the Dardanelles Defences. By ySeptember 1921 they were engaged in the protecting the neutral zone on both sides of the Dradanelles and Bosphorus. From October 1922 to June 1923 they were in Gallipoli and Chanaq.

Terry Reeves

Thanks very much Terry.

That is more very useful information. I note from the Long,Long Trail that 28 Div has no published history, is there a source I can access from the computer or my local library? or is it all held at Kew?

Much obliged.

Dave.