Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graves's Grave

Muerrisch

More info available from the Robert Graves Society

http://www.robertgraves.org/

I am sure - not having time to check up properly at the mo, that Marco is right about Graves' grave.

Have you read the book, Dear Robert, Dear Spike?

It is the correspondance between Graves and Spike Milligan and is fascinating. Graves rarely spoke about the war but chose to discuss it with Spike as they had shared experiences.

If you haven't read you really should, it is a terrific book.

Hope that the RGS can give you the info you are searching for

Fleur

Try http://www.findagrave.com/

This website has thousands of records and photographs of graves.

People can also submit their own contributions.

Gwyn

Just checked the thread - I see Fleur got there first! Unfortunately there isn't a picture of the grave itself.

Err.... the reference to http://www.findagrave.com/ isn't an answer to the question since it does not contain a photograph of the grave (if there is one). Not? :D

I will have a look tonight in a biography I have of him because I believe there is a picture in it of the aprox. spot where he lies.

Regards,

Marco

Curses. Nice site, several photos RG alive, none of headstone or indeed pauper's grave. Thanks for info. so far. He was buried, I suppose, as opposed to being cremated?

There is no headstone but I read somewhere that his grave is marked by a concrete slab with the words "Robert Graves, Poeta, 1895-1985" written in by someone's finger before the concrete went off. I believe lots of the graves in the churchard at Deya (Deia) are marked like this. I'll try and find the book and see if there's a picture.

Tom

No photograph, but found some facts on the following web-sites including the inscription.

http://www.balearnet.com/mallorca/t10deia.htm

Graves was hardly the first to discover Deia. An 1878 guidebook noted its 'collection of strange and eccentric foreigners' and it has stayed that way ever since. Climb the Carrer es Puig, Deia's only real street, passing ceramic Stations of the Cross, to reach the parish church and the small cemetery where Graves is buried. His tombstone, like many others, is inscribed in simple handwriting set into the drying concrete - Robert Graves, Poeta, 1895-1985 if you want to know more, read Wild Olives - Life In Majorca with Robert Graves by his son William Graves.

http://www.ontoeurope.com/features/2003/ma...3/mallorca.html

Drive along the coast to Deya, where you'll see mountains to your right and the deep blue of the Mediterranean dropping down on your left. The village of Deya was home to writer and poet Robert Grave. He is buried in the local cemetery and his family still live in the village along with a number of rich and famous who have been drawn there over the years.

Alan

'if you want to know more, read Wild Olives - Life In Majorca with Robert Graves by his son William Graves.'

I have a copy of Wild Olives by William Graves but unfortunately it is devoid of photographs; Graves grave, or otherwise.

'Next morning we buried Father in the cemetery, a stone's throw from the Pasada. Only Lucia, Ramon, Elena and I and a couple of friends were present as the coffin was lowered into the grave. It had been dug into the hard soil of the Puig, beneeth a tall cypress tree: a fitting place for him. Once buried, Salud Carrillo's husband, Toni, who worked for Pep Salas, made a simple cement plaque and, while it was still wet, inscribed on it:

Robert Graves

Poet

24-7-1895 to 7-12-1985

RIP'

Hope that might be of help.

Rosemary

I have to agree with lb1418. The knowledge and dare I say 'tit-bits' seen on this site is absolutely incredible. What a moving picture. RESPECT.

• 1 year later...

I visited Robert Grave's grave last Friday and am posting a photograph I took at the time. The inscription written on the cross that had been left on the grave read "Once a Fusilier". The setting of the graveyard on top of the hill in Deia, next to the church, is beautiful, and yes, as I have read on more than one occasion, the location reminds me of Harlech.

post-19-1100007123.jpg

Searched for ages knew I had a photo somewhere and guess what---couldnt find it but the same as those shown. The setting is unusual in Mallorca the church and graveyard are the highest part of the small town with wonderful views around. The burial is neither anonymous nor a paupers but is marked as shown by a simple concrete with the name date and the simple wrd "poeta"-poet marked on it. Graves house Cala Llun is still there the last one out of the village towards cala de Deia the small cove where apparently Graves went down to bathe every day. He must have had a fantastic physique as was always very active even after his wounds in 1916, always as strong as an ox. The house is still in the hands of his family and there is a bronze sculpture of his head in the garden

Reading his biographies I am convinced he was greatly shell shocked and suffering from what we would now call Post traumatic shock syndrome, for many years probably for the rest of his life.

Now where did I put those photos??

salientguide

• 5 weeks later...