Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand WW1

liverpool annie

I wanted to help research a group of men who went to WW1 from the State Saw Mill at Piha, Auckland, New Zealand. The Mill operated from 1910-1921.

There is a plaque on Lion Rock commemorating employees of the state sawmill at Piha who died in World War 1.

- A young man has been researching the origin of the plaque and would love any more leads to explain who put it up and when. The best he's been able to find out is that it was erected by some of the millworkers after the war, rather than the Railways Dept who ran the Mill and is finding it contained many errors, just to add to the obstacles - At least 3 men who it says died, actually did not, while William Robert Pearson died of wounds, but is up on the plaque as having lived - I found a couple of his men - men who were born in England - but any other ideas of where to look would be appreciated! (we're checking the NZ Archives at the moment)

Thanking you in advance

Annie :)

Hi,

Im no expert, but happy to help look up records if need be, I lie in Auckland and maybe able to assist by looking records up for you.

regards Aaron.

Aaron!

Thank you so much for your kind offer!

if you could find out anything about that plaque that would be a great start!! :)

There is a plaque on Lion Rock commemorating employees of the state sawmill at Piha who died in World War 1 - if we could find the origin of the plaque and find out who put it up and when - that would be terrific - and a big help!

Thank you again

Annie :):)

Annie,

Right, will see what I can find out eh!!!!

excuse the kiwi accent.

best regards Aaron.