Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bird flu in Turkey

Eceabat

Without wishing to sound alarmist, I would sound a note of warning to those Pals thinking of visiting Turkey in the near future. As you probably would have seen in the media, the outbreak of avian flu in this country is spreading, with at least 16 of Turkey’s 81 provinces now having confirmed cases of bird flu among domestic or wild fowl. One of the latest areas to have confirmed the presence of avian flu among birds is Istanbul

To date, there have been three deaths and, as of Monday, 12 confirmed human cases of avian flu.

I would be quick to point out that there have been NO cases of avian flu, either among humans or birds, in the province of Canakkale, or anywhere near the Gallipoli Peninsula.

However, potential visitors should note that it is believed avian flu was brought to Turkey by way of migrating birds, some of which use the Salt Lake at Suvla. Anyone planning a trip might want to think twice before tramping around the lake there.

Again I stress that there have been no cases within about 200 kilometres of this region but it would be well to keep this problem in mind.

All the best

Bill

Bill

The threat of terrorism hasn't deterred me since 2001 so a few

sick chooks wont stop me from being at Anzac on the 25th.

Peter

Hi Peter,

By all means I wouldn’t want to put anyone off coming to Turkey or to the Peninsula. My raising the issue of the avian flu outbreak was by way of an advisory and a suggestion to take precautions in certain areas.

However, it is not quite a matter of a few sick chickens. As of Wednesday, there are about 75 people in hospital undergoing tests after displaying bird flu-like symptoms, with another 15 confirmed cases and three deaths. Twenty one of Turkey’s 81 provinces have now declared outbreaks of avian flu among domestic or wild fowl and so far, more than 300,000 domestic fowl have been culled with many more due for the chop.

Happily, there have been no confirmed cases of humans contracting the virus in the past 24 hours.

One of the saddest cases was of a little girl who considered the family chickens as personal pets and friends. As each fell sick she cuddled and kissed them. There is a lesson here for all of us: don’t kiss the chickens.

Cheers

Bill

Guest gumbirsingpun

yes

the spread of bird flue is very worrying, i recommend that those who wanna tak a run to turkey should put off their trip

tuna

you frae eceabat?

bill

Hi Pals,

While I wouldn’t go as far as recommending not coming to Turkey, Tuna is right that the matter is very worrying. As of Thursday 19 January, the Canakkale region still remains free of any reports of avian flu among domestic or wild fowl.

However, two provinces on the way from Istanbul to Canakkale, Tekirdag and Edirne, have both reported suspicious bird deaths and testing is being carried out to determine if the virus has spread there.

To date, half of Turkey’s provinces either have confirmed or suspected outbreaks of avian flu among domestic poultry, with the death toll among humans rising to five confirmed and one suspected. All but two or three of the 21 confirmed human cases have been children, a matter to keep take note of for any visitors with families.

However, (again that word) those thinking of coming to Turkey should keep in mind that all confirmed or suspected cases of avian flu amongst humans has come from direct contact with infected domestic fowl. While not trying to make light of the situation, I wouldn’t want to see it blown out of proportion either.

Avoiding places where wild and/or domestic fowl are to be found such as the Suvla Lake in the case of migrating birds and maybe some of the villages on and around the Peninsula that have chickens and such are the best bet for all but ruling out any risk.

For those thinking of coming over at any time, the best idea is to check the internet for travel advisories and news sites (Google is good if you key in Turkey bird flu) and then make up your own mind.

And yes, Tuna, I am around in Eceabat almost all the time, if you are in Canakkale or around we could catch up. Drop me a line.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Pals,

Just an update on the avian flu situation in Turkey. As of Tuesday January 24, there has not been a new confirmed case of avian flu among humans for a week, nor have any new outbreaks been reported in any regions for about the same time. This is not to say that the threat is over, or that new outbreaks will not occur, but there has at least been a lull in new infections.

Again as of Tuesday, there have been no reports of avian flu in the province of Canakkale or on the Gallipoli Peninsula. Not that anyone here would be in a position to do anything about it if there was. The region, and indeed much of Turkey, is in the grip of a severe cold front, bringing gale force winds and heavy snows. Many of the roads on the Peninsula are blocked and all ferry services across the Dardanelles have been halted since early Monday. Hopefully the extreme weather should ease by the end of the week.

Cheers

Bill

Guest gumbirsingpun

tis very cold here with temperatures of up to -2 and -6 degrees and as bill said,many of the roads on the peninsula are blocked, and many of the villages have been cut off from the the provience of canakkale by heavy snow,and the statements of what the weather is likely to be for the next day or few days is even worse

hows you bill?,hopw all is going all with you?

thanx

I guess on the weather front I am reminded of the conditions of late November 1915 when sudden blizzards resulted in many soldiers dying because of the cold, the wet and exposure, with many suffering severe frostbite. It's too easy to forget the peninsula is not always the hot sunny place many visitors remember.

The avian flu situation is a simple reminder of how easily the 1918 pandemic spread. The current likelihood that migratory birds play a key factor might also remind us that many migratory birds come through the UK (and many other countries) so no-one should think it will never come "our" way.

I have read WHO (World Health Organisation) advice with some interest - there is much good objective material on their web pages. The advice still seems to be that the risk is negligible as long as simple precautions are taken - avoiding flocks of poultry or migratory birds and the like together with their residues and ensuring all poultry products are well cooked. If it does continue to spread I suspect many more of us will find ourselves taking simple precautions thus keeping any risk to an absolute minimum.

The current UK advice is that there is no reason not to travel to Turkey but that simple precautions should be observed and I think that is probably very wise counsel.

Yes, Martin heaven help any poor chaps who were living out in a hole in the ground in this weather. As of Wednesday 25 January, the whole Peninsula is cut off from the outside world. The highway down the Peninsula is blocked by snow drifts, the ferries across the Dardanelles are only running very occasionally in rare breaks in the weather and roads out of Canakkale on the Asian side of the straits are also cut.

There are one or two tourists who came to Eceabat in the off season who are getting better acquainted with the town than they had planned to do.

Still no bird flu though. As Martin said, take precautions and there should be no problems.

Cheers

Bill

Latest update on the bird flu situation from Turkey. There have been no new outbreaks of avian flu among poultry for about two weeks now and no new cases of the virus infecting humans for about as long. the province of Canakkale has remained free of the virus (touch wood).

As to the weather conditions, some secondary roads on the Peninsula are still snowbound or at least icy but travel to the town of Eceabat on the Peninsula or Canakkale is now back to normal.

Cheers

Bill