Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FROM MAJOR .L.L.GORDON BOOK ON BRITISH BATTLES AND MEDALS.

Gordon Caldecott

Hi, Has anyone got this book? Please could you confirm the following details from if for me?

THE ORIGINAL CONTINGENT OF THE 22ND Cheshire Yeomanry WAS 125 STRONG.AND THE SECOND CONTINGENT WAS 155 STRONG.

CLASPS FOR THE QSA TO THE ORIGINAL CONTINGENT WAS. CAPE COLONY,ORANGE FREE STATE, S.A.1901(70)

SECOND CONTINGENT CLASPS WAS. A FEW HAD TRANSVAAL, S.A.1901 (125), S.A.1902(100)

post-2587-1136815587.jpg

Cheers Ian, I assume that the second lot, have CC, OF and ? Trans, with 01 & 02.

I also assume that those who stayed on, also had Trans 01 & 02.

Another detail thats confusing me, is the fact that some of the men are ranked as Pte and others as Trp. Either on there medals, or in the various documents I have, any ideas as to why? An example is George Whitelegg, who died in 1901, is listed as Pte and Trp??

Hi Gordon,

The book states that the clasps won by the Imperial Yeomanry are for the most part Colony Clasps, ie Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal.

I assume by this the 125 members of the original contingent could be awarded CC, OFS and 70 the SA 1901 bar. They did not qualify for the Transvaal bar. [THREE bars were the most they could get]

The 2nd contigent [155] could also be awarded the CC, OFS, a few the Transvaal bar and 125 the SA 1901 and 100 the 1902 bar. [This contingent could get FIVE bars]

I always thought the rank of Private and Trooper were the same [lowest rank].

Regards,

Ian.

The discrepancy between Trooper & Private is probably just Clerical,a Trooper being of the same Status as Private,WW1 Medals & documents are rife with this cross over as with Rifleman,Gunner,Etc & Private,for other Units

Cheers Guys, thats been very helpful thank you. It might also be of interest to note, that Gleave`s medal has three bars, CC,OFS & 01 and is named to Trp 22 Coy Imp Yeo, from his papers, I`ve discovered that he must have been in the second wave. Whitelegg (1789) with one bar CC, is named to 1789 Pte Whitlegge 22nd Coy 2nd Imp Yeo, and from his papers and date of death, was in the first wave. Not the incorrect spelling of his name. Another clerical error. I assume that all the first wave, were named to Pte, as the this was the first time the Yeomanry had deployed overseas, and the correct to Trp wasn`t made till later in the war, maybe. The army still makes this mistake today, calling Guardsman, Private etc!!!