Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone heard of "Bembridge Granite Fort"?

steve fuller

Hi Pals

Another relative of mine died in a sad, unfortunate accident at the fort in the RGA April 1916.

Was the place a training establishment or would he have been posted there in the RGA please?

Thanks all

Steve

Hi

Bembridge and Granite forts are two sites, Bembridge was use as a gas training depot, with an attached 9.2" battery (Culver Battery) close by. Granite Fort was by WW1 obsolete, and I think also used as accomodation. There were three batteries as part of the complex 9.2" and 6" coastal mountings in pairs. They were all ex Victorian forts so more or less redundant by WW1

What was his name, and do you know the nature of the accident I will look see if there was any reference in the local paper.

Gareth

Hey Dave

Thankd for that mate. It was summat my Auntie asked me about & sent me a copy of that got this started. Sat April 29 1916 edition of Isle of Wight County (press?):

Gunner William charles Meager of Leighton Buzzard died after misjudging the depth of a pool, diving in & cracking his skull :( . Died later that night ... He was serving in 32 Co RGA & died April 24th 1916.

Its a "nice" little story (if you know what I mean by that?) as it goes, but still very sad nonetheless. Just highlights how arbitary death was in the war. You didnt even need to be in action to be killed by it ...

Cheers Dave, appreciated mate :D