Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canada's Byng Boys

Terry

Another thread on "Bing Boys" reminded me of an organization here in my home province of New Brunswick. After the war, a group of veterans got together in Saint John and formed a rather exclusive club. Membership was only granted to those who had been brought out of the line on a stretcher, and was limited to fifty men. The Honourary OC was Lord Byng who also granted the club permission to use his name.

Over the years the membership criteria has been relaxed, so that today anyone who has served as a combatant in any of Canada's wars is eligible.

I have attended several mess dinners and dining ins over the years whenever the officers of my reserve unit were invited as guests. The club is filled with artifacts from the world wars, but the first thing that struck my eye on my initial visit was the huge canvas iron cross hanging overhead. It had been cut from the Gotha bomber shot down by Capt.W.W.Rogers,MC (No.1 Sqn,RFC) in December,1917.

Opening ceremonies consisted of a spirited singing of the old classic which includes the line..."and we don't give a F--- for old von Kluck", while the PMC bashed a gavel on a German helmet, which sat upon an honest to God skull. We young officers never dared to ask about the origins of the skull!

I think that the youngest member currently is a Korea vet, although many of today's peacekeepers who have seen action probably would qualify for membership.

Hi Terry:

Thanks for the great post. Were the original members from the same battalion? Are there any pictures of the first fifty? Thanks.

Garth

Hi Garth,

The originals represented a cross section of CEF units, plus at least one Saint Johnner who had served as a member of the RNVR (John Kimball), and another who had been with the RAF (E.J.Cronin). By the way Cronin served in North Russia 1919, and came out with a DFC, Order of St.Anne,3rd Class, with Swords, and a Cross of St.George,4th Class.

At the club, a couple of walls are covered with individual photos of the members, each with a poppy placed in one corner.

Terry