Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German RIR 107

bob lembke

Guys;

I probably have previously mentioned the bitter fighting at Fismes/Fismette on the Vesle River west of Reims in August 1918. I have now seen some scans of a Militaer=Pass from the Reserve Infanterie Regiment 107 which indicates that it was engaged in this fighting, or in action nearby.

This was a situation in which the French army commander ordered the US ID 28 to hold a tiny bridgehead north of the Vesle, perhaps 200 yards of the one street of the village of Fismette, at the foot of a fortified hill. The Americans may have had 5000 casualties in this small spot in three weeks. Inserted units would lose 50-95% of their strength in two days, repeatedly.

The village was over-run twice by flame pioneers of 9. Kompagnie, Garde=Reserve=Pionier=Regiment (Flammenwerfer) in night-time attacks. One reason for my interest is that at one time I thought that my father was taking part in this fighting, but I now know that he was fighting in the 11. Kompagnie some miles to the east, being wounded twice in a month.

I have exhausted my meagre resources that might tell me more exactly where the RIR 107 was fighting it this period? The Pass says that it was involved in a defensive battle falling back from the Marne to the Vesle from 21. 7. 18. to 3. 8. 18., and then engaging in positional fighting on the Vesle from 4. 8. 18. to 3. 9. 18. The latter date was the date when the defending troops on the north bank of the Vesle began falling back again.

I know that some Pals have German Army research materials far better than my fairly modest research collection for this sort of question. Thanks for any help. I will pass the info to the new owner of the Pass and will probably pop the info into my hatching book as well.

Bob Lembke

Bob

Here's a not very good scan from the regimental history, which devotes about three pages to that month. RIR 107 was a Saxon regimnet, originally mobilised in Leipzig, but by this stage of the war was at a pretty low ebb. They were involved in a sharp action early in the month, a minor one later on, disbaned three companies for lack of manpower and otherwise seem to have just dug until they were relieved. If you like, I could scan the pages and send them to you off forum. Any inbox limitations?

Jackpost-6447-1136794256.jpg

Jack;

Many thanks for your offer. From what you said RIR 107 was certainly not in the middle of the Fismette fighting. Note the directions to and mention of a "Vauxere" on the map; a trusty carte Michlelin has a village of Vauxcere about 4 km to the north-west of Fismette, and I think I make out the same stream on both maps. Early in August the Americans attempted crossings of the Vesle to the west of Fismette; possibly that was the sharp action you mentioned.

Since they were not "in the thick of it", the history entry for RIR 107 is less critical, but would be of considerable interest anyway. I would like to have it, if it is not a bother. I would also like to share it with the German who just bought the Pass, it was his/her's first e-Bay purchase, and they should be tickled to receive this information. It might tell me more about the other German units in the area, RIR 107's division, etc.

There is a great deal of history locked in these Paesse, but as they are scattered all over and not organized or accessible, they are an unmined resource. The lack of a collector's organization also is a factor. There is a Briton who has posted a list of some of his collection on the net. I have two Paesse of Garde=Reserve=Pionier=Regiment (Flammenwerfer), and a Pass from Sturm=Bataillon Nr. 5 (Rohr) (two copies from saintly e-buddies and my father's original), and each one has taught me important things about these interesting units.

I don't know of any size limits I have to e-mail attachments.

Many thanks, as usual, for your help,

Bob Lembke

• 17 years later...
On 10/02/2023 at 13:35, Lany said:

I have solders token

Otto Mőbius
Colditz Postplatz 83
6.?.90.
 ERS.BATL. R.I.R. 107 5k N.1594

This could very likely belong to the following individual, apparently a stretcher-bearer with 10. / RIR 107 in the field. He was reported as missing in the Saxon Verlustliste of 23rd October 1915 (as part of the regiment's severe losses during the French autumn offensive in Champagne), but was subsequently located and recorded as sick in the Saxon Verlustliste of 28th January 1916. He appears again (identified as a stretcher-bearer and with his birthdate minus year quoted as additional ID due to censorship of unit names in the lists by this date) in the Saxon Verlustliste of 24th November 1917, where he is described as having been lightly wounded but still with his unit.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3109843
http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/1529916
http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4857399

However it should be noted that the Ersatz-Bataillon / RIR 107 (based in Leipzig for most of the war, apparently moving to Grimma in 1918) not only provided replacements to RIR 107 but to various other later war-raised Saxon infantry units as well. There is no guarantee that a man trained by this Ersatz-Bataillon would actually be sent to RIR 107 in the field.

19 hours ago, bierast said:

Вполне вероятно, что это могло принадлежать следующему человеку, по-видимому, носильщику 10./ RIR 107 в полевых условиях. Он был объявлен пропавшим без вести в Saxon Verlustliste от 23 октября 1915 года (как часть тяжелых потерь полка во время французского осеннего наступления в Шампани), но впоследствии был обнаружен и зарегистрирован как больной в Saxon Verlustliste от 28 января 1916 года. Он появляется снова. (идентифицирован как носитель носилок и с датой его рождения минус год, указанный в качестве дополнительного удостоверения личности из-за цензуры названий частей в списках к этой дате) в Saxon Verlustliste от 24 ноября 1917 года, где он описан как легко раненый, но все еще со своим подразделением.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3109843
http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/1529916
http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4857399

Однако следует отметить, что Ersatz-Bataillon / RIR 107 (базировавшийся в Лейпциге большую часть войны, по-видимому, перебравшийся в Гримму в 1918 г.) RIR 107, но и различным другим более поздним саксонским пехотным подразделениям, созданным в ходе войны. Нет никакой гарантии, что человек, обученный этим эрзац-батальоном, действительно будет отправлен в RIR 107 в полевых условиях

The token was found in Belarus, near Lake Naroch. On the positions where the famous "Naroch operation" took place, the so-called "battle for Verdun" on the Eastern Front in March 1916. For 12 days, the losses of the parties amounted to 120,000 (killed and wounded).

https://youtu.be/_ASk4BmOO58

8 minutes ago, Lany said:

I forgot to add that he was transferred to another unit, judging by the badge on the back.

10. Komp. / IR 106 (another Leipzig regiment), within 58. Infanterie-Division