Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieutenant David Nelson Speed A&SH

woodyab

I am attempting to find out as much information as I can on a relative of mine. 9106 2nd Lt. David Nelson Speed. Information gleaned from various sources, including CWGC, states that he was aged 30 at the time of his death; 2/5/1917. My Mother believed that he was a Regular in the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders. Assuming this to be correct, this indicates to me that he was probably promoted to 2nd Lt as a battlefield promotion. He was attached to the 8th Bn, The Black Watch, when he was killed. So it could be that he was promoted because of a shortage of officers in the BW.

His date of death and interment at Duisons British Cemetery, Etrun, indicates that he was killed in the battle of Arras. I cannot find any record as to the circumstances surrounding his death.

As you must realise by now that I am rather struggling to come to grips with this research business. My difficulty, really, is the tyranny of distance, because I now reside in Queensland, Australia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me.

In anticipation,

Fenwood

Hi Fenwood, :)

Officers Died in the Great War, doesn't add much more except that he Died of Wounds.

Here is his MIC. You can down load it for £3.50 Sterling.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=3

Sorry I can't help you more.

Cheers

Tim.

From the London Gazette 15-8-1916

INFANTRY.

The undermentioned are transfd. from Res. to Regular Bns. as temp. Officers, with dates of seniority as shown against their names: —

Arg. & Suth'd Highrs.—Lts.: —

F. W. S. Teggart. 1st Sept. 1915.

J. T. McNeill. 28th Mar. 1916.

J. Inglis. 29th Mar. 1916.

A. Glen. 10th Apr. 1916.

2nd Lts. : —

J. P. G. Paterson. 8th May 1915.

W. T. G. Robertson. 20th May 1915.

J. R. Fairley. 4th Jan. 1916.

J. Smith. 8th Jan. 1916.

A. B. Ruthven. 21st Jan. 1916.

D. Sutherland. 21st Jan. 1916.

C. Burness. 21st Jan. 1916.

F. R. Fortune. 21st Jan. 1916.

D. Speed. 21st Jan. 1916.

G. T. Wilson. 21st Jan. 1916.

Possibly our man... (2nd from bottom)

Steve.

Hi Fenwood

He was wounded on 29/4/17 as Lieut and died of wounds 2/5/17.

9106. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders attd. 8th Bn

Son of Peter G. and Mary Watson Speed, of 10, Janefield Place, Maryfield, Dundee

He must have an Argyle crest on his headstone as I photographed all the BW there and missed him. I hope to get back to photograph it at some point.

For your interest there were a few Speed's in the BW (see below)

43130 SPEED A

3122 SPEED D

2340 SPEED J

1884 SPEED R

SPEED T.D

1717 SPEED W.A

290168 SPEED W.A

Kind regards

Fred

From A History of The Black Watch in The Great War, 1914-1918. Vol 3.

On the 28th the Battalion moved up to the Railway line, releiving the 5th Camerons. The line was constantly shelled, and on the 29th Lieutenant T.D.Speed was mortally wounded in the cutting.

Hope this helps :D

Fred

First, I would like to thank you all, Tim, Fred and Steve, for your quick response. After speaking to you all I checked the NA (as advised in this sites what to do's) and came up with his Medal particulars. His Reg. No.(Official Number) is prefaced with an S. Does this indicate Service Bn? His Official number,S/9106.

Steve, why would he be transferred from the Reserve to the Regs? Does that indicate that he had served with the colours then he was doing his Reserve time and was called back at the commencement of Hostilities and then, because he was promoted to an officer he had to transfer back to the Regs? That exalted position of T/2nd Lt. At least he wasn't an 18 year old T/2nd Lt... A hoary old Sergeant, a kilty no less,becoming a T/2nd Lt. Beggars the imagination!

Well, I think I have taken up too much of your time.

Once again thank you.

Now I will endeavour to do some more research. How best to go about finding out about his Army career?

Fenwood

S/ for a Highland Regiment denotes wartime enlistment.

It would seem that when he was commissioned he was put initially into a Reserve (UK) Battalio of the Regiment and then transferred to a Service (overseas) battalion. Somewhere around should be his actual commission to 2/Lt. He was simply shifting from a Reserve Battalion to an Active battalion.

A Reserve battalion during wartime was in general a stopping off battalion before a posting overseas came up. Junior officers had an unfortunately high mortality rate and new officers usually did not have long to wait on Reserve.

Next stop is really seeing if the Medal Rolls (which the Medal Index Card ,er, Indexes) add anything to the mix and if his officers Service Record survives at the National Archives.

Unless someone here can add anything first!

Steve.

Just to add his Scottish National War Memorial entry.

Surname SPEED

Firstname David

Service Number

Date Death 02/05/1917

Decoration

Place of birth

Other (att. 8/R. Highrs.).

SNWM roll THE ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

Rank 2/Lt. (Tp.)

Theatre of death Unknown

Aye

Malcolm