As per CWGC

Name: WAKEFIELD, ALBERT (BERT)

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/01/1916

Service No: 1597

Additional information: Son of Walter and Fanny Wakefield, of Glenroy Cottages, Winchester St., Whitechurch, Hants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: J. 16.

Cemetery: KUT WAR CEMETERY

This is the first example I've seen on the CWGC site where a more familiar verson of the casualties name has been added in brackets

& the cemetery info

Cemetery: KUT WAR CEMETERY

Location Information: Kut War Cemetery is on the northern edge of the town, at the point where the Baghdad road enters it, 800 metres from the river.

Historical Information: In April 1915, the Indian Expeditionary Force 'D', which had landed at Fao the previous November, began its advance inland with the intention of clearing Turkish forces out of south-west Iraq. Amara was occupied in early June and the advance continued along the line of the Euphrates to Nasiriya, and along the Tigris to Kut, which was taken on 29 September. The advance to Baghdad was resumed on 11 November, but was brought to a standstill against the strong Turkish defences at Ctesiphon on 22-24 November. By 3 December, the force, comprising chiefly the 6th (Poona) Division of the Indian Army, was back in its entrenched camp at Kut, where they were besieged by Turkish forces. Heavy casualties were suffered in desperate but unsuccessful attempts to reach the town and raise the siege in January, March and April. The garrison was forced to capitulate on 29 April 1916 and nearly 12,000 men were taken prisoner, many of whom later died in captivity. The town was reoccupied by Commonwealth forces in February 1917 and at the end of June it became an administrative, railway and hospital centre. Kut War Cemetery was made by the 6th (Poona) Division between October 1915 and May 1916 and was increased in size when graves were brought in from other sites after the Armistice. The cemetery now contains 420 First World War burials.

No. of Identified Casualties: 413

Will

Just for the record, I think his home town was Whitchurch, as there is no Whitechurch in Hampshire.

I will try to see if the cottages are still upright, they should be near the Silk Mill

Stephen

Have just checked the village website - the local Branch of the RBL have placed photos of those lcoals who died in the two wars in the Prish Church, would you be interested if I coudl find out more?

Guest geoff501
This is the first example I've seen on the CWGC site where a more familiar verson of the casualties name has been added in brackets

There are some (DICK), (BERT), (BILL), (WILL).... Here is another familiar version:

Name: WARNOCK, ELIZABETH McMATH (DAISY)

Initials: E M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Voluntary Aid Detachment

Unit Text: 10th (Glasgow) Detachment attd. 8th General Hospital

Secondary Regiment: British Red Cross Society

Date of Death: 05/05/1918

Additional Information: Daughter of William and Mary Malcolm Elizabeth Muir Warnock, of 19, Westminster Terrace, Glasgow, late of Holytown, Lanarkshire.

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Officers, B. 4. 23.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN

would you be interested if I coudl find out more?

Absolutely.............I always believe its worth while adding as much as possible to the Remembering threads. The more we are able to find out, the more interest it generates

From SDGW

Born & resident Whitchurch, Hants

Enlisted Andover, Hants

KIA

Will

The more familiar name was sometimes added by the relatives. You can also see this engraved on CWGC headstones (though more common for WW2).

Absolutely.............I always believe its worth while adding as much as possible to the Remembering threads. The more we are able to find out, the more interest it generates

Albert Wakefield is listed on the 1901 census as 8 years old. His father Walter (46 years old) was born in Brading, Isle of Wight and worked as an Agricultural Engine Driver. At 26 years old Walter was living with his parents Sarah (born in Whitchurch) and Benjamin, plus brother George in London St. Whitchurch. At that time Walter was listed as a steam ploughman (Ag Mac Driver 7/7). Walter married Fanny Elizabeth Gidge in the September quarter 1883 at Basingstoke where she was born. Albert Harry Wakefield was born in the December quarter 1893. This would have made him 23 years old when he died.