Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Facial Injuries (French group)

withcall

When we went round the museum at Fort de la Pompelle (Reims) last year, there was a display of photographs about a group of French veterans who formed a group (post-war) to help each other out with the awful problems faced by ex-soldiers trying to make their way in peacetime with terrible facial disfigurement. Can anyone give me any more information about this, please?

There was a thread on this or similar but i think the pics were of French fellas.

Try searching for disfigured soldiers on the forum and you may find it.

I would also be interested in knowing about this French group. I think that there was mention of such a group in the Lyn Macdonald book - Roses of No Man's Land. I believe she wrote something about a group of French veterans with disfiguring injuries who were staying at a location far from possible visitors.

I wrote an article about facial injuries and advances in plastic surgery as a result of the first World War. It can be read - here.

Good Day

If I remeber well these four broken faces were those selected by French authorities to attend the signing of Versailles treaty on 28 june 1919. German delegation had to pass by them and to face them.

I have somewhere in my archibves and files their identities.

Regards

Yves

Les gueules cassées became a very powerful lobby after the war and nobody could really argue with them. From memory a colonel set up a home for those who couldn't face the world. They were also responsible for the setting up of the lottery system and are still shareholders in the national lottery to this day and have a role ( albeit lower profile) similar to that of the British Legion although help is now extended to anyone who suffers disfiguration.

Good day

I have just found the names of these 5 men : They were choosed by Doctor H..Morestin

Albert Jugon 1st R.I.C.

Eugène Hébert 315e RI died 1957

Henri Agogé 4th BCP died in 1935.

Pierre Richard 102nd BCP died 1965

André Cavalier 2nd Zouave Regt died 1976

Hope taht this info will help you

Regards

Yves

Good day

In fact German delegation at Versailles had to pass by them ( and obviously was obliged to look at them )then to turn and signed the Treaty. So the French delegation of broken faces was just behing them when Germans signed the treaty.

Regards

Yves

Many thanks for these replies - they've given me a good starting point for my research

Withcall

I wrote an article about facial injuries and advances in plastic surgery as a result of the first World War. It can be read - here.

Very interresting article, Canada.

Marina

I think you will find this web site very fascinating. Included are full case studies showing photographs of facial reconstruction in progress. Medical details are provided.

Profiles of actual first world war soldiers are included - see the left index to choose a soldier to look into.

Project Facade

IIRC there is also a chapter in here. Worth trying the library for?

Adrian

A Google on "gueules cassees" brought up an interesting French site

http://www.bium.univ-paris5.fr/1418/

Click on the image of the deformed face to go to the "exhibition".

Then a sequence of stills and French texts appears (you can skip this by clicking on an arrow at bottom right).

Then you arrive at a "summary" page and can select different topics (clicking on "La delegation des cinq" takes you to a pic of the five facially-disfigured who were present (apparently on the initiative of Clemenceau) at the signing of the Treaty of Versailles.

Angela