Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passchendaele: The Untold Story

Sparky53

THis book came up on my recommendations from Amazon

Jane

Read it and liked it. I have my reservations on some of their conclusions but certainly an essential read for anyone interested in Ypres or Passchendaele.

Read it, found it to be an argument that artillery was the most important aspect of the military model used in the Salient. No new news.

Read it, found it to be an argument that artillery was the most important aspect of the military model used in the Salient. No new news.

Andy, have you read it and found it to be an argument that artillery was the most important aspect of the military model used in the Salient? :D:D

• 6 months later...

For me, this and Wolff's In Flanders Fields are the two essential books on Passchendaele. None of the others I've read come anywhere near.

Wolff's book of 40 years ago relates how the War Cabinet after expressing lots of doubts eventually said to Haig in July 1917: All right, you can have your Ypres campaign but only on this condition: if it doesn't go well we reserve the right to close it down.

Prior and Wilson have now looked into the archives of the War Cabinet and found that, once the campaign started, the War Cabinet never made any serious attempt to monitor progress, and never made any explicit decisions on whether to continue the campaign or to close it down. They just spent their time on ill-focussed discussions of possible campaigns in Italy and Turkey.

A clearer example of rubbish decision-making one could scarcely hope to find!

Prior and Wilson is essential reading!

No wonder Chris demoted me back to 975 when I WAS over 1K ...

BTW ... the author says Artillery was the most important aspect of the military model used in the salient.!

• 4 weeks later...

In their introduction to 'Passchendaele - the untold story' Prior and Wilson write

'If we ignore some recent pot-boilers on Passchendaele (like the work on which referred early on, to... Helmuth and Moltke', and then went on steadily downhill),'

What were the titles of these potboilers and which one in particular features Helmuth and Moltke' :lol:

I ask this so I don't make the mistake of paying good money for them.