Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bing Boys

charlesmessenger

This I suspect is for someone like Annette.

In August 1914, the chief Royal Engineer and chief Gunner of the BEF were given just a single staff car and nothing else. The general view was that they would have little to do and they were nicknamed `The Bing Boys'. From my research, the show `Bing Boys Are Here' did not hit Britain until 1916. So, which Bing Boys were around in 1914?

Charles M

Charles

I think The Bing Boys originated from a book by George Grossmith and Fred Thompson, I don't know the publication date, but this may be one answer to the puzzle.

Wasn't this the show where "If you were the only girl in the world" came from?

Terry Reeves

George Robey took the lead as Lucius Bing, and sang "If you were the only girl in the world" to Violet Loraine's Emma, in "The Bing Boys are Here" at The Alhambra, Leicester Square from 19th April 1916. The London County Council had done much to rid the area of prostitutes, and the theatre's new management were keen to to stage respectable family entertainment.

George Grossmith jnr (not to be confused with Diary of a Nobody's co-author, who was either his father or uncle), and Fred Thompson collaborated on the book (i.e. music and lyrics) for the show, which they adapted from a French story, and sub-titled "A Picture of London Life in Seven Panels".

Unfortunately Charles, details of the original French story elude me at present.

This hit show was succeeded a year later by "The Bing Girls are There" and in 1918 "The Bing Boys on Broadway", again at the Alhambra.

20 Coy MGC in Italy in 1917 called themselves 'The Bing Boys'; I have also been given to understand that the name was a self-referential one from former Indian Army Mountain Artillery Batteries - apparently derived from the sound made by firing the 'screw gun' with which they were equipped.