Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th bn royal fusiliers[2nd sportsmen]War diary copy.

andypugh

Hi Everybody

I have a copy of the war diary for the 24th bn Royal Fusiliers 2nd Sportsmen,should anybody need any

info.Diary dates from when the arrived in France until late 1918.

Andrew,

i'm very interested to hear you have a copy of the diary as a relative of mine served with them. I know he entered France on 15/11/15 and died 13/11/16 - he is remembered on the Thiepval memorial.

What format do you have the diary in? i'd be most interested to see any events mentioned on or around 13/11/1916.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Andrew-

I'd be very interested in the diary entries concerning the following dates:

January 27th 1916

In particular, any reference to the action in which Private 2749 Geoffrey Horsman COLES was killed in action on outpost duty at Festubert.

March 18th 1916

Again, particularly looking for information on how Lieutenant David RADCLIFFE was killed in action nr. Loos.

Both were old boys of Winchester College. Coles is quite unusual; he was quite old (forty-four) when he died, and very few of our old boys served as enlisted men (only eleven private soldiers out of 871 war casualties).

Thank you.

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I can help you on both Guys; quote from Diary January 26th 1916 weather was fine. the BN proceeded to take over N2C section trenches fron the 23rd BN RF. Front approximately RUE D BOIS to QUINQUE RUE. Relief comenced at 7.30pm B and D Coys in front line, A company in support and C company in reserve. 27th of January 1916 weather was fine and mild winds south west. A large amount of work was done in repairing the breast work of these trenches. The enemy where very quite and showed no activity except for some sniping and fireing of rifle grenades. A patrol under LT Chandler reconnoitred the enemy wire and found it good and intact. Patrols sent out to R & L Flanks reported 2ndOx, & Bucks L.I. on our right and a battalion of R.W.F. on our left who formed part of the 38th DIV. At about 5pm the enemy fired a rifle grenade into left ftont line trenches killing 3 men and wounding 2. A patrol from D Coy reconnoiting enemy wire where fired on and the Corporal in charge was missing on there return. Casualties:

KILLED

2582 L/C SOULSBY

2749 PTE. COLES

2426 PTE. MARSHALL

WOUNDED (slight)

2547 PTE PEARCE

3390 PTE FIELD ALL B COMPANY

MISSING

2693 CORPL ROBERTSON. D COMPANY

hello again Shaun.Now for your second fellow.He was killed on the 19th march 1916.Ref.Map TRENCH MAP

36c S.W.1. 1/10,000. Enemy fired aconsiderable number of whizz bangs on our left front they were probably

trying to hit a trench mortar battery located there.Capt,RADCLIFFE went out to front trenches to observe

the fire of our guns in retaliation and was killed probably by a German sniper,being hit in the head by a bullet.This is a serious loss to the Battalion he was a good Officer and very popular with all ranks,he was

buried at BULLY GRENAY this evening. Weather Fair Wind Easterly

Is this the information you wanted? Its all word for word as it was entered in the diary

regards Andy

Hello Mark On the 13th November 1916 the 24th bn were fighting up on the REDAN RIDGE.There are three pages entered in the diary concerning this,Do you have a FAX number? then I could FAX it to you..The reason being I wont be able to get it all in the message box.

Look forward to your reply

Andy

Andy

You are an absolute star; that's exactly the information I was hoping for.

Many, many thanks.

Shaun