Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Magazine

Guest mythago

My sister has just moved back to Edinburgh from darkest Milton Keynes and produced a copy of this magazine which she found in a box in her attic. A spinster cousin of our grandmother's gave us a whole series of these when we were children, which she had had as a child in the 1910s and 1920s. Unfortunately, we read them so much they fell apart. I didn't think any had survived. I was particularly interested to see that this edition had survived. I don't remember there being any wartime ones among those that we had which is a pity.

I think this gives a fascinating glimpse into the way children were treated during the war. It's full of the most nauseating patriotic tosh, and I remember reading it in a very post-modern ironic way when I was about eleven or twelve.

Here's the front cover. It's interesting that this commemorative edition wasn't published until February 1919.

mymag.jpg

I've only scanned a couple of pages as the mag is pretty fragile. The articles all focus on human interest - the heroic chaps at the front, or as in the article this page is from, our brave animal pals.

mymag03.jpg

more...

What I remember finding more interesting than the actual articles (and still do for the glimpse in lifestyle of the readership that it gives) are the ads. It's interesting that this product is being advertised in a children's magazine, clearly indicating that it was intended to be read by their parents as well.

mymag04.jpg

When I first looked at this, I misread it as phosgene and did a double take. I see it cures all known ills.

Cas

What I remember finding more interesting than the actual articles (and still do for the glimpse in lifestyle of the readership that it gives) are the ads. It's interesting that this product is being advertised in a children's magazine, clearly indicating that it was intended to be read by their parents as well.

mymag04.jpg

When I first looked at this, I misread it as phosgene and did a double take. I see it cures all known ills.

Cas

Arthur Mee also edited " The Childrens' Encyclopaedia ". 10 large volumes crammed with pictures and read to bits in our family.

I remember coming across The Children's Encyclopedia too at some point. This magazine is written in exactlly the same sort of style - horribly patronising, and totally rooted in the dominant culture of early 20th century Britain. Regular editions of the mag had a mix of articles about science and history and tales from the Empire. Fascinating perspective on the period.

I remember coming across The Children's Encyclopedia too at some point. This magazine is written in exactlly the same sort of style - horribly patronising, and totally rooted in the dominant culture of early 20th century Britain. Regular editions of the mag had a mix of articles about science and history and tales from the Empire. Fascinating perspective on the period.

Ah yes, the white man's burden and all that. I remember fanatics being described as whitefaced and sweating with staring eyes. All Russians of course. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Arthur Mee also edited " The Childrens' Encyclopaedia ". 10 large volumes crammed with pictures and read to bits in our family.

He also wrote, if not all then at least some of, the 'Kings England' series. He did Sussex and Surrey for sure.

• 1 month later...

Indeed. I am very familiar with these having been given the complete set (not dated but there is a reproduction of the Pietro Annigoni portrait of Queen Elizabeth II at the front of Vol. 1) as a Christmas present by my grandmother's (on my father's side) brother, who served as a stoker in the RN for many years.

This chap was on the Tiger at Jutland and also served on the small protected cruiser Sirius (went round the Cape of Good Hope in heavy weather in the early 1900s), small turtle backed destroyers (living under canvas on the fo'csle) amongst other ships.

I still value them, about the only member of the family that does.

Indeed. I am very familiar with these having been given the complete set (not dated but there is a reproduction of the Pietro Annigoni portrait of Queen Elizabeth II at the front of Vol. 1) as a Christmas present by my grandmother's (on my father's side) brother, who served as a stoker in the RN for many years.

This chap was on the Tiger at Jutland and also served on the small protected cruiser Sirius (went round the Cape of Good Hope in heavy weather in the early 1900s), small turtle backed destroyers (living under canvas on the fo'csle) amongst other ships.

I still value them, about the only member of the family that does.

Hi, interesting that they should have stayed in print for as long as that. I believe that the edition that I pored over as a child was printed before WW2, sometime in the thirties. I read them just after that war and they had been in the family for some time.