Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Re visit to IWM.

armourersergeant

I went to the IWM today to view the records they had on Lt-Gen Snow, which i have to say was fantastic. Not only did they have his accounts of the times he was in charge of 4th div in 1914 and 27th div in 1915 but also accounts of sudan 1884-85 and sudan 1898. Lastly they also had two bound copies or originals of his letters home to his wife with numerous cuttings and illustarations.

It is the first time i have seen a picture of Snow and he reminded me of the character from that WW2 film colonel Blimp. Nice bushy beard. A sort of played down version of Plummer. there was much info in these docs, which this is not the place to go into, once i had attempted to decipher his handwriting, obviously a doctor in his spare time!

Anyway why i am prattling on like this is that i was so excitied by this information and the illustrations etc that i was praising god for the all this enjoyment that i forgot the real truth.

Before i left i went down to the trench exhibit and quickly wandered through there. I have been once before but this time it brought me up cold. I have been living in the sanitised world of the generals for too long and had forgotten the reality of these mens decisions.

This is as close i would ever want to be to what those poor bloody infantry went through. Just the smell was bad enough but then i started to imagine myself going over the top.

Reality check now registered.

Serioulsy though i thought that the IWM was great and spent six hours dictating alot of the records but was greatful that i spared the time to go round the WW1 section and grasp once more what it was really about.

A very reflective.

Arm.

Bryn

But you don't like people like me at IWM North. You'll perhaps recall my recent post on that thread - I ask if I can read a document that's in one of the display cases. I can - but I have to come to London to read it in the Reading Room.

10 minutes drive to Salford or a 400 mile round trip on Virgin which, seeing as I would have to travel peak time, is a £269 trip.

Absolutely bloody barmy, mate!

John